Storage Bridge Bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
As many are aware, there are a bunch of Xyratex made enclosures that have been OEM'd to various vendors.
While exploring that path, I discovered the storage bridge bay specification.
What it is:
A physical spec for a storage enclosure interface module.
1 An Introduction to the Storage Bridge Bay Specification. - ppt download gives an overview, as does this:
https://www.snia.org/sites/default/...ons/monday/MarkHall_SBB_2_0_Spec_Overview.pdf
(longer version of above)
I haven't found the SBB 2.1 spec anywhere, but it added 6gb/s, and there was to be a follow-on adding 12 gb/s and talk of a version 3.0.
Important to realize Netapp, Xyratex, Dell, EMC were all on the board of the SBB working group.
Key points from what I can tell of the specification:
1: The enclosure itself is mostly dumb, but there is an EEPROM allowing for compatibility check and shutdown of a mismatched enclosure/SBB module.
2: The expander/drive control interface is explicitly in the SBB module, not the enclosure. Each SBB has signals for 24 drives; i'm not sure how the 48 drive Netapp boxes work in terms of additional expander location.
3: SBB 2.0 allows for 200watts to be supplied to a SBB unit, for modules with processors. The netapp FAS2240 is an example of this type of unit, using a dual core Xeon C3528 with option of dual 10GBE with a mezzanine card. It might be possible to install a generic OS to one of these units and have a compact NAS using a netapp or similar shelf.
Intel also speaks of a D-1500 based SBB unit, here:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...s/design-guides/xeon-d-1500-thermal-guide.pdf and the netapp FAS2620/2650 units appear to be based on same.
4: StorSimple power supplies have the option of an integrated battery backup to shutdown processor modules.

Dell EMC ME units are currently SBB 2.1, promise also discusses.

Just some food for thought on JBOD enclosures and options....

Reactions: francox86