Still POssible to Disable Windows Update in W10?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
In the version of W10 that I run on a couple of Computers it's possible to disable Update thru the Group Policy thingy. But i seem to recall that this feature is gone in more recent updates. Can some tell me if this still possible to disable updates? I have MSDN thru Bizspark so i can get whatever verison of 10 i need.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Curious myself, in the last 2 months I have lost more work and wasted $ to windows 10 being "helpful" and doing whatever the F it wants with windows updates rebooting overnight when I walk away from the computer for an hour or more, or downloading updated over tethered wifi connections and costing $100's in overages. Tagging all of my wireless connections as metered has helped the windows updates not downloading when tethered but it still nags me all the time.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
There's more to do, sadly I forget what. I did them on my current desktop but even with them done certain things still automatically update.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Change http://wsus:8530 to point to a bogus IP in your host file or change to http://bogusIP:8530

REM echo Point Windows client update to http://wsus:8530
%windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v WUServer /t REG_SZ /d "http://wsus:8530" /f
%windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v WUStatusServer /t REG_SZ /d "http://wsus:8530" /f
%windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v UseWUServer /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

If you want update, then manually click on "check online for upate"

Reference
Configure Automatic Updates using Registry Editor

I run my own local WSUS server , I donot keep the WSUS server running 24x7.
All Windows clients would not be able to check Windows update if local WSUS is not running.
By running local WSUS server , I could approve or decline certain Windows update

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Marsh but that doesn't affect "internal" things from updating, does it?

What about the 'lookup/search' (forget what it's called -- I disabled this and downloads/updates it does via reg edit) does disabling updates disable this from functioning?

There's other MS "phone home" things to disable too, again I forget specifics I did it 2? years ago... sorry.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So RegEdit Is the only way Now? I hadn't seen that method before. I did on two Of my 10 Boxes using the group policy editor that certainly stopped any updates.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
@T_Minus

If the Windows clients could not contact the local WSUS server , it just re-try checking windows update in a fix time internal.
No issue.

It is almost impossible to have non-enterprise version of Windows 10 to stop spying on you.
Unless it is isolated from Internet.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@T_Minus

If the Windows clients could not contact the local WSUS server , it just re-try checking windows update in a fix time internal.
No issue.

It is almost impossible to have non-enterprise version of Windows 10 to stop spying on you.
Unless it is isolated from Internet.
Sadly, that's what I've found too :(

I've experimented with linux to 'take over' but sadly havent' given it enough time to mess around between work and non-work time!! Someday maybne :)

The Group Policy feature is not available in the Home edition. So, only when you run Windows 10 Professional, Enterprise, or Education, you can use the Group Policy Editor to change the settings to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating. The group policy editor will notify you of new updates without automatically installing them.
-Press the Windows logo key + R then type gpedit.msc and click OK.
-Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
-Double-click Configure Automatic Updates.
-Select Disabled in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click ---Apply and OK to disable the Windows automatic update feature.
Note: If you need to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the steps above, then select Enabled to turn on this feature, so that you can continue to download the updates.

Also consider using Action1 to disable Windows 10 update if:
- You need to perform this action on multiple (hundreds or even thousands) computers simultaneously.
- Some of your endpoints are laptops not connected to corporate network at all times.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I was a beta tester on win10 for about 20 minutes...

I have found that the best way to update win10, is to update to something other than win10...

If M$ thought getting rid of XP was difficult, they are going to have a hell of a time getting users to migrate from Win7...

I would rather have a mac in the stable (not that I like that idea any better), than a win10 box, and that's coming from an old codger that cut his teeth on an XT :D