STH Q4 2021 Update A Letter from the Editor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
@Patrick I'm most interested in hearing what bumps you've run into for your fiber project.

Mine were:
  • Can I route my fiber along this wall? Outside walls are constructed differently from inside ones. Sill plates rest on top of concrete foundation throughout the perimeter of a home preventing holes larger than 1" from being drilled through them.
  • I'm routing fiber through my crawl space, what kinds of conduit should I use to protect them? PVC schedule 40 only come in 10-foot sections and my floor opening prevents them from inserted without cutting them or going through vents.
    • It may be a superfluous thing but my Cat6 runs along the same area were done without conduit and they were fine for the past decade. As long as the vents are properly maintained to keep rodents out, the bottom layer of the foundation, if constructed properly with packed gravel should keep pests out.
    • An important point is my Cat6 runs do not rest on the ground to prevent moisture from compromising their sheathing.
  • What size conduit? Nominal, ID/OD diameters. Drill bit/auger type, size. Glands/furcations if they exist in the multi trunk can be a major pain point. Typical multi trunks can be 0.4" - 0.8" diameter but the glands/furcations add make it 1.0" - 1.5".
  • How best to route the fiber through conduit? Pull forces need to be strictly adhered. Running rods have a difficult time being pushed into corrugated conduit more than 10 feet. Those rods are really meant for conduit with smooth interiors.
  • If split wire loom is used, how best to place fiber inside to prevent damage. How best to prevent twisting while pulling the bundle?
  • Is it wise to use a metal pulling grip? Only for non-preterminated fiber and one needs to remove the portion including maybe a foot more where the grip touched since the glass would have probably cracked/shattered.
As you can see most items above were related to general construction rather than fiber.

There were a lot of planning and investigation on proper fiber etiquette as well:
  • The most obvious were
    • Methods A, B, C
    • MPO vs MTP vs LC vs SC (duplex, simplex)
    • MPO/MTP polarity/male-female
      • MPO12, MPO16, MPO24
    • PC/UPC/APC
    • Fanout, multi trunk
    • Cassettes
    • Adapters for keystone wallplates
    • SR4, LR4, CWDM, LR4L
  • What's the best way to clean fibers? Alcohol is used a lot, is it the right substance?
  • What's the most economical way to inspect for cleanliness without breaking the bank?
  • What about loss/power testers?
  • How best to terminate to walls/rack?

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
There is also MTP Pro... USConec has great product lines. Not affiliated with them.

I wanted to purchase adapters with shutters but they only make them in standard footprint. All their technotes and drawings are very informative.

Reactions: Patrick