STH Build a Server for Charity Program v1

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I'll laugh my butt off if someone proposes a c6100 node with a 12v power brick for this project. ;)

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I will ignore the thread if I see another c6100 article, so bloody over them............

There are plenty of cheap AMD CPU's and boards around the sprout gut-loads of PCIE slots for cheap HBA's, bang on Windows 8 with Storage Spaces and you have a very cheap server platform.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I will ignore the thread if I see another c6100 article, so bloody over them............

There are plenty of cheap AMD CPU's and boards around the sprout gut-loads of PCIE slots for cheap HBA's, bang on Windows 8 with Storage Spaces and you have a very cheap server platform.
For $200 not gonna happen for a C6100. Pre the Xeon 5400 series AMD was still doing really well so at this price point maybe we will see one. Are you going to try it?

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
For $200 not gonna happen for a C6100. Pre the Xeon 5400 series AMD was still doing really well so at this price point maybe we will see one. Are you going to try it?
Not sure what your asking matey?

5400 Xeon would be s771 and not well known for being great on power/noise. Yes, they are getting real cheap now but good boards are starting to dry up a little.
I was referring more at the smaller FX81XX or 83XX CPU's and the handful of boards that support ECC RAM (Gigabyte).

If on a shoe-string then we need guidelines as to size of server and desired performance.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The c6100 joke was not meant to derail this thread. It's a very good and fun initiative!

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If this is somehow tax deductible, I would gladly donate a barebones 4 node C6100 (no CPU, RAM or HDD's), but does include a single power supply, and heatsinks. Just cover the shipping which might be about $50.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Likely only going to be a $200 budget. Needs to be a web server. Also needs to run the STH linux benchmark suite.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Great idea Patrick. I have enough unused parts (that aren't worth selling) to put together a nice web server. It probably won't be the fastest, and maybe not the cheapest, but it'll be a solid web server that I'd be proud to donate. I'll find the eBay receipts to make it official and give it a go. No $ needed since I already have the parts - except for RAM perhaps.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

May 24, 2013
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm interested in participating but I'm not sure I understand the rules. Do we post a proposed design and compete for the $200 gift?

Cheers,
Tank

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm interested in participating but I'm not sure I understand the rules. Do we post a proposed design and compete for the $200 gift?

Cheers,
Tank
Wow! That would be a way better idea! The thought this time is that we make the gift, then the participants will go shopping for the best parts they can. They can then document the finds and the builds for others to see.

FrankTheTank

May 24, 2013
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. This is really quite a challenge as I would want to build in high availability and that is proving hard to do based on the searches and parts I have looked at thus far. Good stuff and great fun! I'm going to have to look at some Andriod options.

I like the idea of two mini-itx systems running centos in a cluster. I was toying with trying to find the parts below at a price point that would work but haven't had any luck thus far.

2x ASRock E35LM1 AMD E-240 APU AMD A50M Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo = 109.98 from Newegg
2x G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ = 49.98 from Newegg

by the time I add a decent power supply, a case, and some sort of storage I keep coming up closer to $250.00 with shipping. I'm having fun trying out different options though!

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I would like to participate in this charity build.

My proposal would be built around a combo currently available for a mini-itx board with celeron 847 chip and ram included for $83 bucks. I'm confident I can build a respectable home server on all new Sandy Bridge generation hardware for under $200.

I happen to have two units of the MB, CPU, RAM combo in hand already (received yesterday) and would be happy to document a build using them and provide one of them to a charitable cause at the end.

Cheers!

Edit: to add details below.

mITX and case and PSU is $50 locally, which means MB, CPU, RAM, Case & PS puts me at 134. I can definately do the rest in budget, and it will have twice the (cpu) performance of an AMD APU build.

Last edited:

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
Small AMD or Xeon CPU to support ECC RAM (we don't want corruption from cheap, domestic memory). Board to support ECC as well and then the magic, a SSD to hold OS/data for speed and fast I/O.

I like the cluster idea too, just a little unsure on what performance/reliability a person would expect from a sub-200 web server.