SSD and RAID - Worth it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
For me the question comes down to WHO's data is it. If it's yours in your own house, well you're in charge. But if it is your employer or customer's - that's not your baby to risk dropping. The main reason we all did RAID 1 or 10 used to be for performance to avoid the IO penalty. RAID 5/6 on SSD's have tons of IO to spare, so doesn't really matter as much. So you can get away with 'bad' RAID levels as they no longer hurt as much.

But even for an SMB customer, to have 25x $20-$100/hr employees twiddling their thumbs for a few hours is a minimum of $500/hr while you do a restore or reseat a drive or or or.

So 'worth it'? To buy an extra $100 SM863 drive for an array or something? Every day I breathe. The good will and saving face alone are worth it, IMHO.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% agree. This is my personal home lab. I do also manage the IT for a small architecture firm (owned by my wife. Not my real job), but they get off the shelf servers with hardware Raid 10. Even 1 hour of downtime for them would cost more than all of their servers (and knock on wood, they've had zero hours of unplanned server downtime). That's a completely different ballgame but I experiment at home and apply lessons learned. If it had not been for experimenting in a lab I never would have been comfortable using esxi for a small business. But now I'd never consider anything else.