Sophos XG VPN Issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
So far I love Sophos XG, however I'm having a weird issue with VPN. I travel quite a bit for work, and have SSL VPN setup to connect back to my home network when I'm on the road. It is setup and works great, however I've noticed my bandwidth from the source location drops significantly when connected via VPN.

For example, last week I was in Vegas for a conference and had a 20 Mbps connect at my hotel. When I would connect to my VPN, the bandwidth drops to less than 5 and ping times go up.

Same issue this week while I'm in Florida.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
VPN - Virtual Private Network. You are creating a secure tunnel from the client to the server. Generally all traffic is forwarded to the server bypassing the local internet connection just as though you were connected to the private network at the location of the VPN server.

When a client is connected to a VPN server the client download rate will be limited to the upload speed of the internet connection at the VPN server location.

For example:
  • VPN Server has 100Mbit download 5Mbit upload internet connection
  • VPN client has 1000Mbit download 1000Mbit upload internet connection
In this scenero the maximum download speed of the client when connected to the VPN server will be 5Mbit. Solution? Buy a better internet connection at the location of the VPN server.

Latency:
  • Latency from VPN server to 8.8.8.8 is 50ms
  • Latency from VPN client to VPN server is 40ms
  • Latency from VPN client to 8.8.8.8 is 10ms when not connected to VPN
Latency from the VPN client to 8.8.8.8 when connected to the VPN will be 90ms because the traffic travels from 8.8.8.8 to the VPN server then from the VPN server to the VPN client. Not much you can do about latency without renting space in a datacenter or getting a really nice fiber internet connection from a provider that terminates in a local internet exchange. Even then you will still be adding the latency between the VPN client and VPN server.

Last edited:

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
VPN - Virtual Private Network. You are creating a secure tunnel from the client to the server. Generally all traffic is forwarded to the server bypassing the local internet connection just as though you were connected to the private network at the location of the VPN server.

When a client is connected to a VPN server the client download rate will be limited to the upload speed of the internet connection at the VPN server location.

For example:
  • VPN Server has 100Mbit download 5Mbit upload internet connection
  • VPN client has 1000Mbit download 1000Mbit upload internet connection
In this scenero the maximum download speed of the client when connected to the VPN server will be 5Mbit. Solution? Buy a better internet connection at the location of the VPN server.

Latency:
  • Latency from VPN server to 8.8.8.8 is 50ms
  • Latency from VPN client to VPN server is 40ms
  • Latency from VPN client to 8.8.8.8 is 10ms when not connected to VPN
Latency from the VPN client to 8.8.8.8 when connected to the VPN will be 90ms because the traffic travels from 8.8.8.8 to the VPN server then from the VPN server to the VPN client. Not much you can do about latency without renting space in a datacenter or getting a really nice fiber internet connection from a provider that terminates in a local internet exchange. Even then you will still be adding the latency between the VPN client and VPN server.
I understand what you are saying. I have a 100mb down and 5 mb up connection from TimeWarner. I would I need to increase my upload speed to effectively improve my VPN performance.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I understand what you are saying. I have a 100mb down and 5 mb up connection from TimeWarner. I would I need to increase my upload speed to effectively improve my VPN performance.
Correct.

I'm surprised Time Warner is 100/5. All of the ISP's in my area that offer 100mbit connections run a 10Mbit upload, and I thought that was crappy.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
You could change the VPN setup to be a split tunnel instead. Then your upload speed would only affect things that you are trying to access over the VPN rather than all of the traffic, unless you want to pipe everything through your sophos.

vpnforroobet

Sep 23, 2022
USA
Instead, you might alter the VPN configuration to use a split tunnel. If you don't want to route all traffic via your Sophos, your upload speed will only effect the content you are trying to access through the VPN.