some quick VM benchmarks of FN NFS rdz2 ssd / optane / p3605

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
this is a cross post i made over at Freenas forums, but figured i would post here as well, as i may get different input / test ideas, than over there. keep in mind, almost all of these READS from freenas are coming from its ARC (ie its ram cache), as i have 128g ram there. (benchmarking Reads/read disk IO on freenas is very difficult as its hard to bypass the arc reasonably)

im still playing/testing with my new layout / config and made some benchmarks. so i figured i would post them here. its from my own notes, so it may be hard see what going on, but ask any ? and i'll answer.

brief setup- (esxi 6.5u2 patched to jan31 2019), i have 2x hosts with no other vms running (so idle). (and vcenter appliance is running on a different unrelated box).

I have a win 2012r2 VM , fresh install (and updated), nothing else but chrome installed. I would then time how long it took to reboot , and time to run WinDirStat app on C: (app which shows you directory utilization for all your files/folders, so heavy, random read of entire drive).

on reboot, i would start my stopwatch as soon as the screen went black, and stop as soon as i got to the prompt asking for press CTRL-ALT-DEL to enter your password.

The "NFS" data store, is from a FN 11.2 box, on a sm x9 DP board, with 2x e5-2620 v1 cpus, and 128g ecc ram. (almost all of the READS from FN are coming from arc it appears though, so more a test of FN ram/network IO). all devices have 10g , via DA SFP's to a ubnt x16 10g switch, on their own vlan. After i would run test, i then storage vmotion to the next disk type.

(9s) = reboot took 9s , 14s = windirstat took 14s (ie the parenthesis time = reboot). The results are in red text.

host1 is x9 DP board, with 2x 2620v2 cpus and 64g ram.
host 2 (the "xeon 2c flex atx") is a X10SDV-2C-TP4F (pentiumD , 2 core, which is really a Xeon-D cpu, soc board)

(even tho this is almost all read, no write, - FN pool/dataset is set to sync=std , so is SYNC writes)

any other ideas you want to see benched / tested with this setup, lmk. tks

EDIT; even tho its all ARC, the nfs FN RDz2 vol is 7x 200gb HGST sas3 ssds - HUSMM8020ASS201

benchesCapture.JPG

james23

Nov 18, 2014
here are some other test i just ran, same layout, but these will actually test the WRITEs of FN (and others) .. note the SYNC= setting (for FN/zfs).
(using aja system test , same scenario/vm as above)

writeCapture.JPG

I should note, when i say DA (direct attached) optane or p3605, i mean via a esxi datastore on that disk (ie NOT passthrough of the drive to the vm)