some assistance please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
I have cleaned up a esxi 6.0 napp-it all in one box lately due to a failed disk

I have a intel s5520hc l5640 based box that was running esxi 6.0 and decided to add and intel mezzanine lsi1078 based raid card to use for napp-it running a pair of small mirrored ssd disks to avoid this single point of failure

I mirrored the 2 disks using the bios boot screen tools and created a esxi vmfs datastore on the resulting raid volume...

BUT

I have tried in vain to find the proper vim to upload to esxi 6.0u3 to manage and monitor the lsi1078 card from WITHIN esxi ... I can only manage it during efi/bios boot.

I also pass a more modern lsi 4e4i card 9200 series I believe and the boards ich1o based sata controller to napp-it for zfs pool use.. but the lsi card was flashed to be a HBA so really don't need a vib for that one?

can someone help me identify the right software to download for ESXI 6.0u3 to manage this lsi1078 / intel mezzanine board.. intel website has nothing for it saying look at lsi...

thanks

jerbkazzaz

Feb 12, 2019
VMware lists the LSI1078 on their HCL as supported: very long link

It says it is supported as an inbox driver in ESXi 6.0U3, which means VMware has the driver built-in and you should see your card automatically. There could be something else at play.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
VMware lists the LSI1078 on their HCL as supported: very long link

It says it is supported as an inbox driver in ESXi 6.0U3, which means VMware has the driver built-in and you should see your card automatically. There could be something else at play.

Thanks.. yes.. when I boot the machine, the intel/lsi 1078 mezz card bios option screen comes up.. created a raid mirror pair there.

once in esxi or vcenter, the mirror space is available.. and esxi hardware / pci bus devices show it as a lsi1078 .. however, there is no control from inside esxi.. IE can't manipulate the raid etc.. and all status information on the card is greyed out or shows unknown...

so this is what I wanted to fix, as lsi cards can be manipulated and monitored from inside vsphere .. or so I believe..

I finally after much much digging on boadcoms disaster of a support site.. finally found a version of the megarec storage manager packages that included the VIB for this card .. esxi 5.5 and 6 .. and installed the LSI PROVIDER VIB

now the card shows at least some status information in vsphere.. although still can't manipulate the raid set or get smart info on the drives attached.. I think for that I have to use the megaraid storage manager console which runs in windows I believe ....

thanks for getting back !!