[SOLVED] SC846 Backplane not detected by LSI-9210-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aletaziar

Oct 20, 2020
MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
HBA: LSI-9210-8i
Backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 (I THINK)
Photo Oct 30, 1 59 26 PM - Copy_small.jpg
The LSI card's BIOS shows the following on boot:
Photo Oct 30, 1 51 11 PM.jpg

1. I can hear the drives in the backplane spinning up, but they're never detected.
2. I've tried using the 8087 to 8087 cable that was shipped with the chassis and also a new cable from CableMatters I bought from Amazon.
3. I've tried both ports on the HBA and tried all three ports on the backplane, although from the manual I think the right-most port is the one that should work.
4. I connected a 6TB WD Blue directly to the HBA using an 8087 to SATA cable and the drive was detected fine.
5. I've swapped the 6TB drive to several different bays on the chassis/backplane and it was never detected.

What other steps can I take to troubleshoot this? I've read that Gigabyte boards aren't great for HBA cards, but the HBA card itself is detected fine and can host drives. Shouldn't it at that point interface with the backplane independent of the motherboard? If not, would getting a different motherboard make a difference?

Last edited:

aletaziar

Oct 20, 2020
You think? Check the labels/stickers on the backplane.
Photo Oct 30, 11 16 42 AM_small.jpg Photo Oct 30, 11 16 46 AM_small.jpg
These are the only stickers/labels I could find on the backplane, and they don't seem to specify the backplane version. I wrote "I think" because I bought the chassis from theserverstore, and the product page at the time listed BPN-SAS2-846EL1, but looking at the backplane in front of me I'm not sure if there's a way to confirm that.
Are the leds lighting up?
The LEDs for the drive bays aren't lighting up, although I hear the drives spinning.

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
These are the only stickers/labels I could find on the backplane, and they don't seem to specify the backplane version. I wrote "I think" because I bought the chassis from theserverstore, and the product page at the time listed BPN-SAS2-846EL1, but looking at the backplane in front of me I'm not sure if there's a way to confirm that.
Should be along the bottom if the 826 backplanes are anything to go by (bottom one says BPN-SAS2-826EL1)

Attachments

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's definitely a SAS2-846EL1 backplane. You can tell by the capacitors.

aletaziar

Oct 20, 2020
Between comparing photos and what the theserverstore's product listing said, I'm pretty sure it's a SAS2-846EL1. I only mentioned that I wasn't 100% sure because that there's no label on it that I can see. I even took out all the drive caddies and tried to check the other side and couldn't see anything there either.

aletaziar

Oct 20, 2020
So update on this. I tried a 1TB drive and that wasn't detected either. Also tried putting the HBA in a Windows PC to see if the expander would host the drives properly. No joy there either.

While it was in the PC I ran ExpanderXtools_Lite to see if the expander was even detected, but the program said no expander was detected.

Just to confirm, beyond the 6 molex plugs and the 8087 cable, there's nothing else needed for the expander to work, right?

At this point is there anything else I can test? Seems like maybe the expander is toast?

aletaziar

Oct 20, 2020
Final update on this. Got a replacement SAS2 backplane from my seller and everything started working perfectly. Original backplane was bad for some reason.