[Solved] NIC for SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
My ISP upgraded my internet to 2gig speed, my MB is SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ has a 1000Mb card. What SuperMicro NIC should i get that will work with this MB? I see 10gb NIC from 29 dollars all the way to 300 dollars on ebay, not sure what to get.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
intel x540-T1 has single 10gig rj45 with same core as 82599ES. (T2 for dual 10gig)

When buying used, make sure its actual intel's not Chinese counterfeit. (i.e. lack of intel print on pcb)
(here are some tips -- while its for x520-da2 -- its about the same How to distinguish 10-Gigabit network card Intel X520-DA2 from Chinese fakes with x540's)
Amazing thank you so so much. Will a used one something like this be fine?
[removed]

They have sold over 800 used units, looks like legit.
I have just one more question after this if u dont mind.

Last edited:

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
looks legit
Great thanks so so much!!
The last question i have is, do i need to disable the onboard NIC through BIOS after i install the new card? I use the IPMI to turn to goggle the power and that is connected through the onboard NIC. Can i connect both the ethernet ports both onboard for IPMI and through the external PCI-E NIC for internet connectivity?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
No, you do not have to. Just do not use nic's on the board. You can have as many nic's as you'd like, and use whichever you like.
IPMI has dedicated port not bound with your normal built-in nic's.

Reactions: Socrates

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
No, you do not have to. Just do not use nic's on the board. You can have as many nic's as you'd like, and use whichever you like.
IPMI has dedicated port not bound with your normal built-in nic's.
Cool thanks so much!! Your advice was of big help. Just ordered two cards for two different servers.

Reactions: CyklonDX