[SOLVED] Linking 8-ports (2x SFF-8087) to Supermicro SAS2 Backplane for 48 Gb/s?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
How would you "link" 2x SFF-8087 connectors, 4-ports each/8-ports total, to the Supermicro SAS2 SFF-8087 backplane - that has a single Expander chip - to double the 24 Gb/s to 48 Gb/s?

Is there any special configuration I need to do on the LSI drivers, in Linux? The expander chip is LSI as well as the LSI 9211-8i.

Not talking about 2x HBAs for Multi-Path. That's only available in the EL2 models.

Apparently it is possible with the EL1, single expander chip models via some sort of "8-lane linking" (see below) with two SFF-8087 cables to a single HBA.

/TL;DR

So, I've researched this for too many years (8+) and always landed on, "I can only use one SFF-8087 cable, with 4-ports, from my HBA to the backplane. That's a maximum of 24Gbps." It's the SAS2 SFF-8087 backplane, BPN-SAS2-846EL1 - one single expander chip.

Again, today I was searching during a rebuild - since I will be adding dual-40 Gb/s QSFP+ to this box because, come on, I have to be able to use those two extra SFF-8087 connectors somehow.

Then I ran across this website which mentions something I have never read before:

With typical 8 lanes HBA or controller, 48Gb/s board to controller bandwidth is enough for...(snip)
And...

With typical 8 lanes HBA and controller and two SAS cable from the backplane, the maximum speed is 48Gb/s.
Wait, what?!?

The manual mentions nothing like this: https://fuzhaopeng.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/bpn-sas2-846el.pdf

I searched and bit more and found one person that claims to have tested linking all 8-ports to the SAS2 backplane; but, "it didn't work all that well for me." That's was the most I got out of the old thread.

So, the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane in the Supermicro SC846 chassis has 3x SFF-8087 ports, and the manual lists all three as Primary.

Would anyone know how to link 8x ports, with dual SFF-8087 cables, to this backplane?

Is it as simple as plugging in two cables, and "poof", you have 48 Gb/s?

I have 10+ Enterprise SATA3 SSDs I can test this with that all peg the 540 MB/s bandwidth of SATA3. So a RAID0/ZRAID0 should yield around 50 Gb/s.

I just need some pointers for how to configure this. Running Linux/Debian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yunia

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Ah, found "the" post that proves it!!!

Woohoo! Nothing to do but just connect the two cables.

Also, you can use the 3rd SFF-8087 port to connect a breakout cable - and connect an additional 4 drives for a total of 28 drives from a single 8-port HBA, with 48 Gb/s bandwidth!

Sweet! As I have several of those break-out cables too!

EDIT: Doh, my LSI 9211-8i is an PCIe 2.0 x8-lane card. That's a maximum of 8 * 500MB/s (PCIe 2.0 lane speed) = 4 GB/s, or 32 Gb/s.

Time for a PCIe 3.0 card!

Last edited:
Reactions: Yunia

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
One bit about doing this, at least with the intel/LSI expanders, and likely with others, is that it works as a waterfall connection-all traffic goes over one cable until you exceed that port's limit, when it spills over to the second port. That could give you very odd effects if you have a flaky cable on the second connection...

Reactions: eduncan911

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
One bit about doing this, at least with the intel/LSI expanders, and likely with others, is that it works as a waterfall connection-all traffic goes over one cable until you exceed that port's limit, when it spills over to the second port. That could give you very odd effects if you have a flaky cable on the second connection...
You know, I've had all of this setup on a test bench for a few months but been busy with life. I could actually test this ...

I did verify that a single connection limits of SAS2 can easily be hit by a few SSDs. So I should be able to replicate that.

An interesting article. I'll read it more in depth when I start to test it.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Is this the same chip in the LSI backplanes?

Quote from article that basically says two connections:

For most situations, using the two SFF-8087 connectors from an Intel RAID Controller to the Intel RAID Expander RES2SV240 is more than what an average situation requires. In theory, up to 48 Gb/s data transfer (eight ports x 6 Gb/s).