[SOLVED] H11SSL-i | No video, POST snooping = 16

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
SM uses a jumper on certain pins to connect the Speaker so that you can make it shut up by pulling said jumper.
But i have not heard my H11SSLs scream at me as well. Or clearly indicate that there is no memory installed.
It is honestly lacking in those areas.
Only a Giglebyte MZ71 ES i have is worse.

kere

Jul 8, 2022
All I can find in the manual is JD1 (pins 6-7) which is used for external speakers. Support implied the internal speaker, SP1, would activate with no memory installed. I can't see any undocumented jumpers. Still looking.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
All I can find in the manual is JD1 (pins 6-7) which is used for external speakers. Support implied the internal speaker, SP1, would activate with no memory installed. I can't see any undocumented jumpers. Still looking.
that seems right to me, is there a jumper on those pins?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
While going through this process and using the IPMI at the same time the onboard speaker/buzzer activated. Continuous tone.

I didn’t even know it had a buzzer.
sounds to me the buzzer(internal speaker) is working already.

kere

Jul 8, 2022
RolloZ170, nice :).

The internal speaker does work but, so far, only for thermal throttling / CPU protection.

SM support are suggesting the beeps and tone should occur on boot when no memory is installed

When I try doing that the buzzer makes no sound and I’m in familiar territory (no video output, POST 16 in post snooping).

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
For the onboard speaker, it is just required to have a jumper on pins 6,7 of JD1. You can also attach a chassis speaker which must connect to pins 4, 7 on JD1.

Reactions: RageBone

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Anyone else outside the United States knows how to get an OOB license, on a Sunday?
I bought on two occasions licenses from wiredzone (I'm in Germany) and they contacted and supplied me the keys within <6hours. Not sunday though... :D

kere

Jul 8, 2022
For the onboard speaker, it is just required to have a jumper on pins 6,7 of JD1. You can also attach a chassis speaker which must connect to pins 4, 7 on JD1.
I have a jumper on pins 6-7. I have not tested an External Speaker.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.13.44 AM.png
  1. With pins 6-7 enabled the onboard (SP1) activates for CPU temp warning.
  2. With pins 6-7 enabled the onboard (SP1) does not activate with no memory installed.
SM support implied that the onboard SP1 would activate in situation #2 above. That is not the case for me:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.22.39 AM.png

I've still got no video and still stopping at POST code 16... while I wait for additional RAM to rule out the memory.

I might be clutching at straws with this one. I was trying to rule out a 'newbie' mistake.

If it's common knowledge (on this MB with pins 6-7 enabled) that the onboard speaker activates on boot, with no memory installed, and mine does not. I may have somewhere else to look (BIOS?) other than the one I'm waiting to try (RAM).

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
My H11 Boards don't beep at me with bad memory either, i tried with known dead sticks.
And JD1 is supposed to be the same over all SM boards and mine is jumpered identical to another x11 that i have that beeps at me.

So, to me, the H11 series is the unloved child that gets no love, updates with stuff and features broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

kere

Jul 8, 2022
So, to me, the H11 series is the unloved child that gets not love, updates with stuff and features broken.
Have you ever experienced that moment, as a newbie server builder, when you realise the parts in your chassis are well known...

...for the wrong reasons? :rolleyes:

I now have to face the harsh reality that in some dark corners of the internet people will promote/sell a particular MB without fully disclosing its rich history from real-world users.

The internet has a dark side. It means I can no longer trust those 5-star reviews on a big e-commerce site.

Thankfully, there is safe heaven on social media where well-known public figures share all the products/services they use and recommend because they care. They do seem to use a lot of stuff though.