[SOLVED, dead CPU] installed pair of 2687w v4 to R430: no display output, iDRAC 8 pasword unknown, no serial output, how to troubleshoot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Or maybe you know of any way to reset iDRAC to default root:calvin? I don't have anything on VGA on either ports. I guess I should have reset iDRAC before doing the upgrade but who knew.
No beeps no little LCD display on my model, just "health" flashing amber. Fans are near idle.
I did NOT test the CPUs before, just bought them.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
its likely using outdated bios, and idrac thats why its not working with v4 cpu's.

Get 1x 2011LGA v3 cpu something cheap and update your idrac & bios. (recommend this grade Intel® Xeon Processor E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz SR207 Server/Enterprise DDR4 CPU 15MB | eBay )
(You can reset idrac password from bios.)

//even if you managed to reset password somehow to idrac, you still won't be able to do anything from there - it will be broken until supported cpu is installed in this case v3, and then you update both bios and idrac to newest -- you won't be able to update idrac/bios when v4's are in and your idrac & bios is outdated.)

Regards

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Okay so CPU2 was cool after 1 minute after power on, CPU1 was warm. I removed CPU2 and it booted with just single CPU. No visual damage, I guess at this point I can conclude that one CPU was dead.

Reactions: CyklonDX

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Yeah, confirmed dead CPU, same results in HPE G9 that was previously working. So there is no incompatibility between E5-2687w v4 and R430, it may be marginally cooled and overall just 12 slots of RAM with 8 for CPU1 and 4 for CPU2 isn't too good of an idea but since I got the system for peanuts im not complaining.

Reactions: CyklonDX