[solved] AsrockRack EPC612D8 no post after CPU swap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Hey all, I have a AsrockRack EPC612D8 that decided to not post today after replacing the e5-2678v3 with an eBay e5-2690v4 (it previously had another v4 before the 2678 so don't think it's a BIOS incompatability). Here's the sequence of events:

1. remove v3, install 2690v4
  2. boots to post code 53 (manual says memory/cpu issue, clear the cmos)
  3. pulled cmos battery for 1 min
  4. attempt to boot, no post no codes, no nothing. but the LAN2 LED is on
  5. pulled cmos battery for 10 min
  6. same thing (no POST, LAN2 LED on)
  7. put v3 back in, same thing (no POST, LAN2 LED on)
  8. let sit with cmos battery out for ~1hr, no change

IPMI (v7.25) has mostly worked the entire time, but won't start java session and not able to power on machine. Green LED near the "BMC" wording on the motherboard blinks slowly ~20 sec after power is applied.

The lit LAN2 LED is suspicious. Can't find any mention of that anywhere.

Did this CPU fry my motherboard? Any other ideas? I did use a bit much CPU paste on the v4 but it wasn't in contact with anything other than the top of the CPU.

Last edited:

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
well after moving the 1u server to a different location so I could plug in a different PSU and popping the heat sink off it booted with the v3 and made it to d7. I then popped the v4 back in with the heatsink and it showed code 53. after trying a couple more permutations of memory/cpu, it fully booted with the new v4. bios is 2.10. I am now updating to 2.40 in hopes of reducing the number of code 53 (2.30 has release note: 1.Improve memory and PCIe compatibility). it is possible I have more than one bad memory slot on this MB