[solved] 5 monitors on dual R9 270x Wont Work- Unable to save display settings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Hey,

Im trying to run 5 x monitors on my dual R9 270x cards (not running crossfire , no eyefinity). Running Win7 Sp1 64bit , AMD CCC 14.12 Omega vid drivers.

All the monitors detect correctly in both AMD CCC and windows control planel resolution settings, and 4 of them will work (any 4 i choose/hook up) , but when i add/enable the 5th monitor (any monitor can be tried as the 5th) i get this message from the windows "display settings" control panel : "Unable to save display settings" (when i click "apply" which you have to do before it enables the monitor). OR When i try to enable the 5th monitor via AMD's CCC, it says that one monitor must be disabled before i can enable this 5th monitor (which would then get me back to 4 monitors total)

Each R9-270x has 2x DVI , 1x HDMI , 1x full size Display Port. I have tried every configuration of these ports (meaning ive tried hooking up my 5 monitors via various different ports, i get the same exact result, however i have not tried using each cards display ports as i don't have an adapter, nor do my monitors have display ports, but im considering ordering an active Displayport to (DVI or HDMI) adapter to try)

Based on this AMD faq, im thinking i should be able to do this (although its only referring to 1 card, not 2):

How Do I Connect Three or More Displays to an AMD Radeon

I had these same 5 x monitors running on my last setup (i just today moved to a new motherboard and new GPU / CPU) my old setup had a PCIe AMD 4850x2 card (has 4x DVI ports) and a PCIe AMD HD6450 (has 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x DVI). I had the 4x ports of the 4850x2 hooked up and the one HDMI of the HD6450. It worked great for running 5 monitors.

any ideas? or is anyone running 5 or 6 monitors on AMD r9 cards?

Im considering ordering an active Display port to HDMI (or maybe DVI) adapter to try using those ports, but it doesn't seem like i should have to as my GPUs each alone support 4x monitors (so i should be able to do 8 if i wanted).

thanks alot!

Atomicslave

Dec 3, 2014
Mmm let me check mine when i get home tonight, I have 6x dell 24" LED's connected via 2x290x cards not using eyefinity so pretty much a very smiler setup and I don't have that issue. I think i am using 4x DVI's and 2x generic Dell full display port to DVI adapters.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
It looks like the "fix" is to use the display port on these cards.... like i said i have 4 ports on each card, 2x dvi, 1x hdmi, 1x display port (not mini display port), using the 2x dvi and 1x hdmi will not work, but using 2x dvi and 1x display port (VIA AN ACTIVE DISPLAY PORT TO HDMIorDVI adapter WILL WORK).

this is the exact adapter i bought and am using successfully to run 5 monitors (and will be 6 monitors when i get the 2nd adapter in Saturday).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDT0072/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(you want to click the HDMI or DVI ACTIVE option)

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
yes, you need to starting using DP or DP active converters to do 3+ monitors on a single gpu. You can run the first two however you want (DVI or HDMI, hell, even VGA if your card has it). This scheme of using active DP adapters has been the case since the Radeon HD 5000 series. Remember doing this with a 5770. Doing this still with a R9 290 that I scored for $175 on ebay.

Good luck.

Atomicslave

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry I keep forgetting to actually look at mine i will tonight for sure, but i am 95% that the Active DP are no longer needed for my 290x pretty sure my two i was using with my dual 6970s are sitting on my desk somewhere still.