[Sold] Supermicro A1SAI-2750F mainboard and 32GB unbuffered ECC RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brinox

May 7, 2013
I'm selling my recently exchanged Avoton server platform mainboard. I exchanged my original board with this one from Supermicro as a result of the Avoton erratum. It has active cooling and runs like a champ. I am selling this as a bundle, including 32GB of Kingston unbuffered ECC RAM, 4x8GB KVR16LSE11/8.

Asking $400 shipped.

Con-US only. Alaska and Hawaii residents, please contact me for a shipping quote. No international shipping at this time.

IMG_20170502_225954154.jpg IMG_20170502_230005088.jpg IMG_20170502_230154813.jpg

Last edited:

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
If for some reason you decide to sell the RAM separately please let me know!

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
I think this board support Quick Assist? Looks like it'd make a great board for pfSense (maybe virtualized under ESXi or ProxMox to make use of the extra RAM.

I'm interested, looking at building a new home router here soon.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
No VT-D support on Atom boards so no virtualization.

Still an excellent pfSense box if not extremely overkill depending the traffic you're pushing.

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
Looks like it supports VT-x, so you could run VMs, just no pass through since no VT-d. But, that board doesn't support Quick Assist, so I'll have to pass for pfSense duties, that came with 2758F.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

brinox

May 7, 2013
Looks like it supports VT-x, so you could run VMs, just no pass through since no VT-d. But, that board doesn't support Quick Assist, so I'll have to pass for pfSense duties, that came with 2758F.
Correct, this board doesn't support Quick Assist or VT-d, the latter of which is why I went out and bought a newer X10SDV board.

Thank you for clarifying this for future interests though!

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
You're welcome! I have an X10SDV board, and they are great. I'm just using it for virtualization. Technically that could include pfSense, but I want that to be on a separate physical device.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
You're welcome! I have an X10SDV board, and they are great. I'm just using it for virtualization. Technically that could include pfSense, but I want that to be on a separate physical device.
that is why I load the pfSense VM in proxmox installed on a dedicates PC.
all the benefits of virtualization and security of dedicated device :)
I have the benefits of changing/testing firewall distros at will.
a security of knowing that if I screw up the setup/config I can easily restore the VM from snapshot and be back in 5 min flat. keep an extra copy of VM just in case. and many many more :)

Reactions: raiderj

raiderj

Dec 27, 2014
Sorry to derail the conversation, but question for vl1969: How do you like proxmox vs. ESXi? I'm currently running ESXi, think that I want to move to proxmox, but haven't had a chance yet to do so. Should I go that way 100%?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Sorry to derail the conversation, but question for vl1969: How do you like proxmox vs. ESXi? I'm currently running ESXi, think that I want to move to proxmox, but haven't had a chance yet to do so. Should I go that way 100%?
I am not sure if I am the right person to ask.
I never used ESXi except in small test setup. never in production environment either.
my job virtualization choice is Hyper-V, which a side from licensing is pretty good.
ESXi has it uses and within professional env. it is a good choice as far as I can tell.
home I am not sure though. my reasons are ,
a bit expensive licence cost if you need/want pro features.
Hardware compatibility is very demanding.
no option to use software raid is desired.
limited choice of file systems for the host.
very difficult (at least to me) hardware management.
limited options for UI. even though I know that free version has webUI but it some what limited the last I checked. and the vConsole requires windows which I do not have at home.
terrible choice of blacklisting the hardware at will, with no regards to users needs/wants

don't' get me wrong ESXi has it good side too.
very good support for PCI pass-through, providing your host hardware is up to par
even limited WebUI is still very useful for basic day to day stuff.

this is all IMHO and should, be taken with a grain of salt as I said before my only exposure to ESXi was a small test instal with limited interaction. most of the other things are plucked from various forums thread I came across during my research.

now with Proxmox I am still in test mode as well but I have been building out couple of setups for my home,
a pfSense router replacement being one of them and my next vm server and file server will be on Proxmox VE 4.

I like it because it is a Debian distro, so I can install anything I need and it supports a lot of hardware old and new out of the box.
I have a choice on how I install and set it all up.
very flexible in term of management options.
Proxmox UI is good but in some areas it still lucking but can be supplemented with webmin. so I essentially can do everything from within a nice WebUI without touching CLI if I choose to.
the LXC containers are a good help.
it supports all major Linux file systems on host, including ZFS and BTRFS.
built in HA clustering option if needed, at no cost.
so far I see no downsides...