[Sold] [FS] [US/WA/Seattle] 4x (3x) Data Direct SS8460 4U 84x LFF JBOD $1k for all

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

obrienmd

Oct 27, 2016
***Gone***

Asking $1,000 for all. I can't remember the last time I listed something on a forum for sale, so I'll consider any reasonable payment type :)

Local pickup in Seattle (Tukwila, technically a Seattle address)
You'll need a large vehicle - these things are 36" long, and super heavy!

Qty 4 total, 3 tested and working great (1 seems to have controller timeouts from time to time, and front LCD is not working, though I haven't tested swapping the second IO module with the first). The front LCD panel images are mine, but the drive images are stock - I didn't get pics of the systems open last time at the DC.

These are too physically large for my use case, but worked great in testing for ZFS on Linux and Ceph.

Details
  • Model: DDN SS8460
  • 4U, 84 Bay top load
  • SAS2 (6gbps, 4 host connections per IOM)
  • No bezels (were ugly anyway :))
  • No rails (we have them on heavy duty sliding shelves)
  • No drives
  • At least 252 (3x84) caddies included - More like 332, but I may be missing a few from testing
  • 2x IO modules per chassis
  • 2x 208-240V PSU per chassis (no C19/20 cables included)
  • 1x SFF-8644 to SFF-8644 cable per chassis (yes, SAS2 over SFF-8644, it's odd, we had SAS3 controllers attached works with SFF-8644 to SFF-8088 with adapter cable as well)

Specs say SAS-only without interposer caddies, but had it working single path with SATA drives under significant ZFS load (can demo SATA connection for buyer on pickup if desired). It, of course, can't do multipath without the interposer caddies.

No warranty, sold as-is, but can demonstrate devices working with a drive populated each, connected to an Ubuntu 20.04 server via LSI 930(0|5)-16e HBAs.

Attachments

Last edited:

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
what? your not going to turn this into a Chia Farm? :cool:

I live in Kent. but I have enough storage and servers in my garage already.

Chris

Reactions: Samir

obrienmd

Oct 27, 2016
Nope - played around with it, but with plotting resources and the stratospheric network size growth, didn't seem worth thinking too hard about...

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
GLWS.

I'm current using a couple Norco 4224 chassis as DAS shelves in my FreeNAS setup. Would be pretty sweet to replace them all with one of these units, but I also know it's not even worth asking my wife about it. :)

what? your not going to turn this into a Chia Farm? :cool:

I live in Kent. but I have enough storage and servers in my garage already.

Chris
*waves to fellow Kent resident*

obrienmd

Oct 27, 2016
Final (not really, as it turns out) price drop, $1,800 for all, then dumping these things on eBay. $600/ea for tested 84-bay JBODs, plus one that's at least a solid parts donor and might work fine with one controller active :)

Last edited:

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
Sexy. Do you have a pallet you could throw these on by chance? Would you consider freight shipping if I arranged it from my end?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Wow so many Seattleites here :)

My guess is that these units are extremely noisy, which means if they are in garage the whole house will hear about it, right? If they are quiet, ie quiet as a netapp ds4246, I may consider them

Selling them on ebay is such a risk given the cost of shipping. I stopped using ebay after my brand new motherboard got destroyed by a buyer and returned. Selling on ebay means opening yourself to such risks.

Last edited:

obrienmd

Oct 27, 2016
And... just kidding, really need to get these out of the datacenter this week, so dropping to $1k for all :)

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
I'll take them at that price. I think Fedex will come through with the cheapest shipping but I will carry them if I have to.

• Haha
Reactions: Bert

obrienmd

Oct 27, 2016
If anyone can pick up by tomorrow, TheServerGuy and I are having trouble getting shipment coordinated by then. Shoot me an offer, just need to get these out of the DC, and would prefer to get these to an STHer rather than a local used gear megarecycler.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Do you mean you want someone to pick them today or Friday?