SOLD $460 Damaged repairable SC847 45-bay JBOD with SAS2 EL2 backplanes

Discussion in 'For Sale/ For Trade/ Want to Buy' started by sfbayzfs, May 10, 2016.

1. sfbayzfs

sfbayzfs Active Member

Please let me know if you are interested in giving a damaged but repairable 45-bay JBOD unit a good home ASAP before I file a damage claim and let UPS repo it, since I can't rack it like this, and don't have time to deal with repairing it myself.

I got a pair of Supermicro SAS2 dual expander 45-bay SC847 units today, but UPS did a number on one of the pair :( The seller paid UPS to pack these, but UPS just wrapped them in weak bubble wrap and dumped them in giant flimsy boxes full of peanuts. One unit survived miraculously, but on the other, UPS managed to shear off the handles and handle mounts and bend a lower back corner, effectively locking in the 3 bays under the PSUs (possibly unbendable with proper tools) and breaking the power plug socket on the lower PSU :(

It powers on automatically and the bay lights light up, so it should be usable, especially if you add a power switch and remove or replace the broken PSU - I will include a third PSU so you have a spare in addition to the broken one.

Anyway, I need to decide soon, and I'd rather have someone here get it than have it go back to a UPS auction somewhere.

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested, especially if you can pick it up in the next day or 2 in Oakland, CA.

I will attempt to post pictures in a bit

2. sfbayzfs

sfbayzfs Active Member

Pics of sheared off handles and bent case and broken psu.

And yes, this one has a different style of tray front than I have seen before, but other than the fronts, they are the same as the usual Supermicro red lever trays with the plastic sides that slide a little easier than the old ones, but are slightly more flimsy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  3. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

ouch

Chris

4. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

sadly this is the most common damage ive seen when getting chassis delivered :(
    broken handles, and smashed corners are no fun

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

That stinks.

6. whitey

whitey Moderator

Good hell, HORRIBLE packing job, thankfully all 3 of my chassis have arrived in good order over the years since I started acquiring them.

7. Manav Agarwal

Manav Agarwal Member

If it falls through I'm in and local.

8. sfbayzfs

sfbayzfs Active Member

Yes, people either seem to be great packers or horrible, but in this case UPS was the horrible packer. As I hoped, it is on it's way to it's new home now via fedex in a real Supermicro box this time as of 3 hours ago. Sorry to disappoint others interested.