EU [SOLD] 2X Mellanox ConnectX-5 CX515A-CCAT 100GbE Adapter + Cable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,
I have two cards - HPE branded ConnectX-5 CX515A-CCAT 100Gbps Single port - including a cable to connect the two cards.

I have used the cards to connect my "SAN" to my ESXi server. Drivers was working out of the box with both FreeBSD & ESXi.
Cards come with tall brackets.

I would like to get 400EUR/3K DKK for the bundle of the two cards and cable which I think is fair - but feel free to send me an offer if you think my price is too high.

Shipping costs will be different dependent on where you live, but within EU my guess is that it will be between 20-25 EUR.

Payment via SEPA transfer inside europe, or PayPal (the vultures)

Location of items is in Denmark - just outside of Copenhagen.

Last edited:

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
The price isn't too high it's just that the connectx-5 is the red headed step child of the lineup. The connectx-4 already did 100 gbe while being cheaper and the 6 uses a different cable (qsfp56) killing the future proofing argument. So there isn't really a reason to buy the product when there are better or cheaper alternatives.

• Haha
Reactions: tinfoil3d

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
The price isn't too high it's just that the connectx-5 is the red headed step child of the lineup. The connectx-4 already did 100 gbe while being cheaper and the 6 uses a different cable (qsfp56) killing the future proofing argument. So there isn't really a reason to buy the product when there are better or cheaper alternatives.
Hmm - except it seems like connectx-5 have a few more advanced features and will possibly last longer before its deprecated in ESXi etc.
But I see your point.

Future proofing does not really matter I would argue, since the cable is the cheapest part of the equation anyway - and I am sure that QSFP56 can run a QSFP28 cable anyway, if you are only interested in 100Gbps.

So real question is - do you need the extra "power" that ConnectX-5 gives over ConnectX-4?

To quote from Mellanox:

"ConnectX-5 delivers the highest available message rate of 200 million messages per second, which is 33 percent higher than the Mellanox ConnectX-4 adapter and nearly 2X compared to competitive products.

For storage infrastructures, ConnectX-5 introduces new acceleration engines for NVM Express (NVMe). NVMe over Fabrics (NVMf) enables end-users to connect remote subsystems with flash appliances, leveraging RDMA technology to achieve faster application response times and better scalability across virtual data centers. Storage applications will see improved performance and lower latency with the advanced NVMf target offloads that ConnectX-5 delivers."

I mean it would be strange if they delivered a new product that did not have more or better specs than the previos generation.

Reactions: gb00s and tinfoil3d

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
From the NVIDIA website, "ConnectX-5 adapter cards are available for PCIe Gen 3.0 and Gen 4.0 servers", so is this a PCIe Gen 3 or PCIe Gen 4?

Do you have the low profile bracket that came with it somewhere?
Hi,

Its pcie 3 - and unfortunately I only have the tall bracket, since I did not buy these new but second hand myself.

Not that it matter if its pcie 3 or 4, since its only a single port adapter and pcie 3 is plenty to handle that bandwidth.

Last edited: