"Solaris" file server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
"Osiris" file server

As my current file server "Anubis" which is running WHS is about to run out of space I'm in the process of building my new file server "Osiris". The plan is to build a file server that I can expand in the future with the use of external SAS enclosures.

Here is what I've bought this far:

Motherboard: SuperMicro X8ST3-F

Chassis: Norco 4220

CPU: Intel Xeon 5506

Memory: 3x Crucial 2GB (Will expand with 3 more later on)

Currently I'm experimenting with different operating systems to find one that's easy stable and offers good performance.

In addition I'm still researching SAS HBA cards, and SAS expanders.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
if you haven't bought the CPU yet...

Consider the L5630 instead of the L5506 you spec'd. At typical retail it will cost you ~$100-120 more, but:

- adds hyperthreading (8 threads vs 4)
- consumes almost 50% less power
- has higher memory throughput (higher QPI throughput)

And most important of all if you are running a Solaris-based file server:

- Supports the AES encryption instructions that make encrypted ZFS pools practical.

If you are super price sensitive you can also look at the L5609. It runs slower, but might turn out to be faster in practice than the much older L5506.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I've already bought the CPU.

And the market for server parts here in Norway isn't that big, so supply is limited and prices are high. I found the 5506 to be cheap, only cost me about $300 and the 5560 would cost me $800. The 5609 would've set me back about $600 aswell.

I might upgrade the CPU in the future though, but will have to get the SAS cards first.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Ok, my thoughts atm is to get an Intel RES2SV240 Expander card connect it to the LSI 1068e on the motherboard and use that to connect the 20 drives in the main chassis.

Then get something like the LSI SAS 9200-16e or LSI SAS 9201-16e and connect external one external chassis to each of those ports.

Does that sound like a good plan?