Solarflare X2522-10G Low Profile Dual 10Gb SFP+ Network Card ~ $75 + $25 shipping - GBP 59.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Found this item - listed by pcb id SF20-050021 / regulatory number SR220 - from UK ebay, currently $US 75 + $25 Shipping OBO.

I think this is an X2522-10G card, not the 10G/25G SFP28 version. It's still at least 1/2 to 1/3 ebay price even with UK->US shipping. I like the Solarflare cards for their linux support, but I realize there are a lot of other cheaper 10G cards:

Solarflare SR220 SF20-050021 Low Profile Dual 10Gb SFP+ Network Card | eBay

Also appears on ebay.uk.co GBP 59.99 OBO (free ship to UK from what I can tell?):

Solarflare SR220 SF20-050021 Low Profile Dual 10Gb SFP+ Network Card | eBay

I'm way too cheap to buy this myself, and I've never own one of these, so you're on your own with this one.

Reactions: Samir

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Out of curiousity, what can these cards do that something like the x700/500 Intels or connect-x Mellanox cards might be missing?

I've been a fan of Chelsio's cards myself, but that's mostly as the configuration tools all seemed to fall logically in hand any time I needed to do something with em I hadn't before (along with iWARP/NVMEoF support), but other than that, I always felt like all the cards were quite similar, at least as far as stability was concerned. I tinkered with the offload and routing capabilities of the Chelsio NICs and was quite impressed as well, though as the highest data rate NICs of theirs I've only worked with were the 25Gb T6's, I didn't really get to see how much of a difference it could make under higher throughput connections...

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Out of curiousity, what can these cards do that something like the x700/500 Intels or connect-x Mellanox cards might be missing?
Solarflare's main claim to fame is in enabling low-latency networking applications. They are also transceiver agnostic (like Mellanox). Other than that, it's probably personal preference and pricing.

gerby

SREious Engineer
Apr 3, 2021
They've opensourced a lot of their work into the open onload userspace networking stack which can wrap most applications and provide significant latency and processing improvements. I've built it and used it with some CX-4s to good effect.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If you want an Onload compatible card and ok with 10G - you can get an SFN8522 for about $70 shipped. I have seen these selling for as low as $30.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
What's the deal with the rear edge connector on these?
I've always wondered about that. My opinion is that it's so you can go x16 instead of x8 with an adapter, but I've never found the adapter.