SolarFlare SFN7322F with PPS for Precision NTP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

I am interested in setting up a modern Precision Network Time Protocol (NTP) Server, and syc'ing precision time across my home network. Does anyone have 'hands on' experience with the SolarFlare SFN7322F cards and precision time sycn via a GPS Pulse Per Second (PPS) connection? Looks like this requires 'hard to find' Solarflare SOLR-PPS-DP10G kit. Let me know if you might have any advice & experience to share, or an extra SOLR-PPS-DP10G laying around.

No real driving need for this. I just want to learn something new;).

Best Regards,
ABQ :)

abq

May 23, 2015
No one has done any precision timing & synchronization here? Maybe something in finance, stocks, or other trading?

abq

May 23, 2015
Not sure why these SolarFlare SFN7322F cards sell for more, if no one is using PTP feature. Do these have other enhancements over the SolarFlare SFN7122F cards? ...Both are PCIe 3.0x8.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Solarflare SOLR-PPS-DP10G kit. Let me know if you might have any advice & experience to share, or an extra SOLR-PPS-DP10G laying around.
You don't need this kit - Just get an SMA to U.FL cable and drill a hole into a random Slot bracket.

To properly make use of the Solarflare features, you will need an older Kernel and the proprietary driver.

The manuals are very good.

Reactions: Maxz and abq

sko

Jun 11, 2021
No one has done any precision timing & synchronization here?
For what?
NTP via public peers is good enough to keep time synced within *very* small deviations. Sync all your local machines against a pair of hosts that are synced against upstreams and you're done...

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
But do you do all the necessary things for the consumers to track time accurately? It's no easy feat and a bit of a resource waste if not truly necessary.
Stratum-0 time source (u-blox ZED-F9T GNSS module with calibrated Ardusimple antenna)? Check
PTP Grandmaster NICs (E810-XXVDA2) fed with PPS signal from ZED-F9T? Check
Slave NICs with Hardware PTP Support? Check

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
That hasn't been my experience, but as long as you're happy with what you've got. Besides, there's a ton of other variables I'm stuck contending with. Comparing environments is a path to madness.