Solarflare dual 10Gb SFP+

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by OBasel, Oct 3, 2015.

1. WANg

WANg Active Member

The S6120 is a 6 series Solarflare card , while the S7120 is a 7 series. The 7 and 8 series are still supported, while the 5 and 6s are considered EOL and do not receive the newer feature-sets. All should be able to use OpenOnload for accelerating 10Gb traffic.

2. mimino

mimino Member

Nice thread, too bad I missed it and had to learn the hard way. I could live with 8 VFs limitation, the bigger problem was that I couldn't bring up theVM without getting "Failed to reset the device" error. At this point I gave up and just did the pcie pass through. I picked up another series 7 card though, hoping to have a better luck with newer generation.

3. arglebargle

arglebargle H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈

I got busy with other things the last couple of months but my conclusion with SR-IOV on any of these cards was basically "install DPDK" and handle >1G networking that way. Drivers just aren't available for SR-IOV on any *nix guest OS but Linux, and even on Linux it's *super* hit or miss getting anything working with VF passthrough that survives guest OS reboots.

The machine I tested on was only somewhat SR-IOV capable though, and I haven't had time to bring up my new HP server to finish testing. I think I'm just going to stick with DPDK for now, the driver situation on FreeBSD was pretty awful and I don't see anything short of pfSense rebasing onto the next major FreeBSD release improving that.

4. mimino

mimino Member

I've obtained a pair of SFN7122F since, and while performing admirably the temperature got me concerned. With IR gun I measured 65C on the board surface, right below the chip. This appears to be the upper limit of its operating temperature :( Didn't want to fry it so I pulled it out, looking for some ways to get better airflow. Can you guys whoever runs this card check and report back what temperature you're observing?

Also, do you know if there's a way to get linux driver (or maybe solarflare utilities) to report the module temperature? I found this on freebsd site, but didn't get the desired output from sfxge driver: ⚙ D5240 sfxge: implement SIOCGI2C to read infromation from phy modules

5. arglebargle

I've been using low profile 40-60mm fans directly attached to the heatsink when I need to cool a network card in a non-server chassis. The cooling on the 40GbE Mellanox card in my desktop is ... it's ugly, but it stays cool enough to operate without issue.

For Mellanox cards I've been able to just use coarse screws to mount fans to heatsinks. I didn't have to do this with the solarflare cards, the thin clients I tested them in had enough airflow with the system fans on high that the NICs stayed safely inside their operating range. You could probably find a way to zip-tie a fan on if you had to.

6. mimino

mimino Member

Thanks for the input. I might actually have to attach some fan to it if nothing else helps. How did you measure its temperature thought? Did you get any utilities/drivers to report it?

7. ewer0012

ewer0012 New Member

I just picked up 2 of these (Sf329-9021-r7.2 10gb Dual Port Server Adapter Low Profile S6102) the other day to transfer data from my old storage to my new storage. They're working great so far.

Haven't seen the temps get higher than ~35C under full transfer load for hours in the server, and ~38C in the desktop chassis. Temps taken with an IR gun.

Is the temp the same on both cards?

I've had to do the same thing for some of my super old desktop builds in the past, including sometimes using superglue to glue the 4 corners of the heatsink to the fan. Super ugly, but effective. :)

8. arglebargle

You know, I really don't remember. I think I last played with my pile of 10GbE NICs back in September or October. I'm pretty sure I managed to pull the temperature somehow, I'd grab the SolarFlare driver package from their website and see if it includes a temperature utility.

9. mimino

mimino Member

I've only tried one. You think it's possible it might be failing so it gets that hot?

10. ewer0012

ewer0012 New Member

That could be. When you have multiple devices, it's always best to test them so that you can start establishing a baseline. A quick Google search didn't really return anything on those cards running super hot as the 'norm'. I did see (I believe in this thread) and through my Google search that 65C is the very top of their operating range, so I imagine something is going on.

Give the second card a try, my bet is on a defect of some kind, or maybe the heat sink wasn't properly installed. I had an old MSI card with passive cooling that ran hot enough to cook bacon and couldn't figure out what was going on with it till I physically inspected it and 2 of the screws on one side of the heat sink weren't screwed in all the way, so the heat sink wasn't fully touching the GPU. Maybe you've got the same thing? I've also seen the 'pads' of thermal compound doubled up under the heat sinks, which caused them to run stupid hot.

That's really all I can think of off hand, but I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have. I'd be happy to continue troubleshooting with you in a PM if you need.

11. arglebargle

I have a pair of those and I can confirm that they do run hot. They're designed for forced chassis airflow, but they ran fine at 50C+ when I was playing with them in my thin clients. I'm almost certain there's a temperature polling utility in the linux driver package, I'm pretty sure I remember polling temperature while I was playing with their 6 and 7 series cards and noting that the 7 series ran much hotter than the 6.

ewer0012 likes this.