Socket FCBGA1310 cooling options?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Title says it all. Looking to cool an 8-Core Denverton (c3758) as quietly as possible in a 1U case.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Hard to say for sure, but I imagine that given it's a SoC there's no standard HSF for the C3000 atoms. The supermicro board I have uses the same heatsinks as most of their Xeon-D line however, so many of the coolers suggested in those threads should also fit. However IIRC I think only a couple of them would fit in a 1U case.

FWIW the HSF on my A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F is "quiet enough" as long as the fan can be kept under 3000rpm (and OK-ish chassis air flow should suffice) depending on your usual load (mine is never stressed on more than a couple of cores). If you've got a model with only the heatsink you'll likely need high chassis airflow to compensate and in 1U that usually means screamers, so you might consider the SM HSF if it fits (no idea how to find the part number I'm afraid).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hard to say for sure, but I imagine that given it's a SoC there's no standard HSF for the C3000 atoms. The supermicro board I have uses the same heatsinks as most of their Xeon-D line however, so many of the coolers suggested in those threads should also fit. However IIRC I think only a couple of them would fit in a 1U case.

FWIW the HSF on my A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F is "quiet enough" as long as the fan can be kept under 3000rpm (and OK-ish chassis air flow should suffice) depending on your usual load (mine is never stressed on more than a couple of cores). If you've got a model with only the heatsink you'll likely need high chassis airflow to compensate and in 1U that usually means screamers, so you might consider the SM HSF if it fits (no idea how to find the part number I'm afraid).
Thanks is for the feedback. Do you have your board as a firewall? If so what kind of load do you put on it (ie. WAN speed, IPS/DPI, VPN, etc). If the Xeon D heatsinks fit I could use a 1U Cooljag Buf-A heatsink that works well.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Yeah the Buf-A is a better option than the Supermicro cooler (although I've not found anyone selling them in the EU so never had the opportunity to try one myself). Bear in mind I've only eyeballed that the mounting holes have the same placement it so best to measure twice, cut once and all that.

My board is in use as a file server rather than a network appliance I'm afraid so I don't have much an idea of WAN throughput in that usage scenario.