Sneakernet sync?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
UK hobbyist on a very low budget with two sites. Within walking distance.
Worked out that can get reasonable unlimited data broadband contract for £12 a month because on disability benefits. Not the fastest at "up to" 38 Mbps but better than trying to fiddle with mobile broadband and its limitations.

Disability means not progressed certain projects as quickly as I would like. But I'd like to end up with a TrueNAS box on each site and sync them over VPN.
It would tick the box for offsite storage.
There's not a huge amount of data involved - couple of terabytes at most but...

I can get the two boxes in the same room/network so they can make beautiful replication love after sucking off content from various machines. But I might be faced with a situation where they aren't.

I have USB enclosure for a single SATA drive of sufficient capacity to grab all content but I don't know enough about TrueNAS to know if, I don't know the correct term, there's a way to do offline replication to start off with, then let the online stuff do its business?

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
Can the two sites see each other? if so a wireless point to point link would be an option for 150$

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
No. There's a hill between the two and one of the sites forbids external antennas. That plus buildings likely

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
No. There's a hill between the two and one of the sites forbids external antennas. That plus buildings likely would get in the way.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
After an initial sync, how big are the deltas over one/several hour(s) or a single day? Syncing multiple times per day via that 38Mbps link should be no problem if you aren't writing multiple GB of new data every hour...