Smoothwall refugee

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tacyon

Mar 20, 2024
41.66, -88.53
Okay more like an evacuee and I'm not sure if this is the correct spot or channel to post this plea.

Is this feasible? Does it make sense? Is there a better way to do this?

I Smoothwall running on an old Dell Inspiron 530S Core Dual Pentium and after four plus years of zero activity, and having been exposed to PFSense by purchasing one to setup for my brother at his residence, I decided that was the way to go .. and if we're doing this I might as well get some new hardware to upgrade my own home lab.

So, this is my purposed layout. Its up and running WAN -> LAN but I can't seem to get the right incantations vocalized to make the VLANs materialize and function as they do in my head. Direction, assistance, thoughts, ideas ... all welcome.

Comcast to a MB8600 DocSIS 3.1

CWWK N305 16gb gskill, WD Blue 500gb NVMe, (4) i226-V
PFSense Community Ed. v2.7.2 on FreeBSD v14.0

eth0 WAN <- MB8600 (Comcast)
eth1 LAN -> TEG-3102WS Port 8 +2 SFP10g managed sw.
eth2 AP VLAN -> UniFi AP LR
eth3 Z3 VLAN -> Meraki Z3 (company managed VPN Endpoint)

eth1 LAN is functional with a IP subnet of x.x.20.x

I'd like eth2 which is conntected to Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR (yea.. legacy device but still works)
Access to WAN (internet) and WiFi connected devices to get x.x.21.x addresses.

I'd like eth3 (Z3 VLAN) to get out to the internet (WAN) via IP subnet 10.1.10.x Its input is set to DHPC.

Rules I played with and didn't get working (for eth2)
States Protocol Source Port Destination Port Gateway Queue Description Actions
0/0 B IPv4 * * * * * none AP any any

(for eth3)
0/0 B IPv4+6* Z3VLAN address * WAN address * * none Meraki Z3 to Interwebs
0/0 B IPv4+6* * * LAN address * * none Block Z3 traffic to LAN

My new switch is a TRENDnet TEG-3102WS
ports 1-6 are currently to various wired PCs on LAN.