SMBus Cable of Supermicro Power Distributor

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nyxynyx

Mar 21, 2020
I am trying to locate the SMBus connector of the power distributor (PDB-PT216-8824) in a Supermicro SuperChassis CSE-216 24-bay 2U chassis. This way, we can get the stats from the PSU (Supermicro PWS-1K21P-1R) to a Asrock Rack X470D4U to be displayed in their IPMI dashboard webapp.

However, the closest cable I can find coming out of the power distributor has a 3-wire 5-pin connector with the letters "PM" printed on it. It happens to fit nicely into the motherboard's header labelled "PSU_SMB1". But IPMI app still does not show that it is receiving any PSU stats data.

Does it look like this 3-wire 5-pin connector is a SMBus connector? Or did 1 wire dropped out of the connector, causing the motherboard to receive no data through the SMBus?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
However, the closest cable I can find coming out of the power distributor has a 3-wire 5-pin connector with the letters "PM" printed on it. It happens to fit nicely into the motherboard's header labelled "PSU_SMB1". But IPMI app still does not show that it is receiving any PSU stats data.
I think you have the correct cable and connector. But you need to realize that there is no standard for where in the I2C space the PMBUS appears. If you look here and scroll down to "The mysterious SMBus and PMBus and their relation to I2C" you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Note that my example deals with using the Supermicro utility to monitor a non-Supermicro (3Y Power) power supply, so while the concepts are the same the actual bus number and offset will be different.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Did you do a cold restart of the BMC (IPMI processor) after connecting the cable. Generally this involves removing power from the wall. With SM boards the BMC inventories the system (fans, I2C, etc.) at start time and won't look for things that weren't there until the next cold start. Just powering of the MB isn't good enough because the BMC stays powered up as long as commercial supply is connected.

You could also reset the BMC from the IPMI web interface if accessing the server to remove power is inconvenient.

Reactions: TXAG26