smartctl "device is NOT READY (e.g. spun down, busy)"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Does anyone know what the above mean when running smartctl ? The SSD is running on an ubuntu machine and I cannot get it to open or read any of the partition. Is the drive dead ?? I tried rebooting the machine or even throwing it on another ubuntu machine with consistent result. I am going to install windows on one of the machine and see what it sees.

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Vendor: SanDisk
Product: LT0800WM
Revision: D40S
Compliance: SPC-4
LU is resource provisioned, LBPRZ=1
Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
Form Factor: 2.5 inches
Logical Unit id: 0x5001e820028d86dc
Serial number: 42829532
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is: Sat Apr 14 13:41:24 2018 PDT
device is NOT READY (e.g. spun down, busy)
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Assuming it doesn't actually respond to any smartctl commands and the drive itself isn't working at all, it's almost certainly a broken controller.

Possibly worthwhile booting it up under the sandisk firmware ISO (or is this a Dell version?) to see if it's detected by that.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I didn't have too much time to play around with this, but can you point me where I can download sandisk firmware ISO for both sandisk and dell version ?? If I remembered correctly the SSD does not have dell logo on it so I assume it is sandisk version.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If this is a SAS3, 3.3v power issue?
Can't remember the exact term you can Google it. Either you need to use molex 4 pin to SATA power or tape the pins on hard drive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I played around for a few hours last night and this morning and I was able to revive the SSD.
I moved the SSD to a windows server and immediately I see error7 disk have a bad block, and disk management show the drive with 0 size. I tried to initialized the drive but I kept getting crc. I tried various of smart tools and diagnostic tools that I have available with no luck. Luckily when I tried to run every possible command on sandisk scli tools I was able to format the drive back to life. I am not sure what is the cause of the problem, within these past 2 weeks or so the host it is running on been throwing IPMI Assertion:processor|Event=IERR and crashed. Rebooting would restore the system normally, but I suppose that last reboot must have done something that the SSD didnt like.

I now want to update the firmware on these drive, but somehow none of the file available online are compatible with it. Does anyone who has similar drive have any special trick to update the firmware on this thing ?