Smallest, quitest case for micro-ATX board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Andrew Nesbit
reported 10 minutes ago

Hello,

Background: Normally when one is designing a SFF ("small form factor") PC then mini-ITX is the standard. However, for some of my applications, mini-ITX is not possible, and moving one size up to micro-ATX opens up a world of possibilities.

Can anybody recommend me any cases which might qualify as "SFF micro-ATX", or point me to where to where I should start looking? In other words, I'm looking for a small, quiet case that can comfortably fit a micro-ATX board. Perhaps something with a relatively thin or horizontal, stackable form factor. Or even something that can be stacked vertically, like books on a book shelf?! That would be really cool.

Of course, with these requirements, I would not expect to mount many HDDs or SSDs. Such a compute node would be focussed on computation, for example, virtualization, with VMs stored locally on mirrored drives and bulk storage accessed via NFS on my NAS.

I would keep power usage low. The system needs to be functional, with a quiet HSF and gentle chassis airflow.

In case it's not obvious, for the purposes of this thread, I'm not looking for a rack-mounted solution due to noise and the fact that they just aren't very living room-friendly. I'm slowly working my way into the world of rack-mounted computing but I'm not quite there just yet ;-)

Any recommendations greatly apprecated,

Thanks,

ullbeking