Small server question/suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I'm considering setting up a client with a 1019D-4C-FHN13TP and wanted to get some opinions/input.
The reason I chose that device is due to it's size. Unfortunately the client's cabinet only allows for up to about 16" max in depth and because there are only 2 users. The appliance will mostly be used for sharing QuickBooks and files. I planned to run Server 2019 Essentials though Standard would do the trick too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
C3000?
In a sense to future proof things overkill is or can be a good thing. I'd rather not be replacing hardware again in 2 to 4 years but rather wait 5 to 10 years, preferably 8 to 10 when by then it's so obsolete it's pointless to run.

Oh and if you're refering to a HP C3000, sorry, I really hate HPs!
If a Netgear then you have to keep in mind that this device needs to run a Windows OS for QB multi-user mode. If I had my choice I'd just have them get a TrueNAS appliance and call it good, lots can be done on a TrueNAS plus it's more stable and secure and then run Windows in a VM but that just complicates matters.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
Ahh, that makes sense. I haven't tried running a Windows Server on a Atom CPU.
The only thing I didn't like about that was the non-hot swap drives though the one I was looking at only had 2 of them hot swap. Something I wish SuperMicro put on the Atom series appliances.
Still though not a bad idea, I will look at them closer.
Have you had any experience with Windows and/or Windows Server on a Atom CPU?
I have the 2758 for my firewall, pretty serious over kill, drives and power supply will likely die before the rest of the hardware is done.