Small scale colocation experience in SF Bay Area

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 22, 2015
I am considering renting some 3U rack space to operate a server + 1G connection. So I am looking for a vendor that's priced fairly for small scale renting.
Security will be very important. And the budget is under $300/month.
Never had any colocation or server renting experience. Any good/bad experience with colocation in the area?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
TIA

Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
HE will lease you a 42U cabinet with 1Gbit for $400 a month. Don't suppose you know anyone that would interested in splitting part of a rack?

Jun 22, 2015
That's cheaper than I expected! 42U is way overkill. But security wise maybe it's easier to manage for the vendor? I would imagine it's difficult to be able to lock the cabinet separately by racks.
I will do some research on HE. Splitting the rack would also be a great idea.
Thanks!

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I'm curious why you'd do it like that. If you already have the hardware and run more than 8TB storage and 2 sockets and 128GB of RAM, it might make sense, but for $300/month you can rent a physical server, and when you feel like upgrading you just switch to a different model. If something breaks, the vendor is responsible, and they are always on-site so no need to drive around.

Say you could get 16A and 4U and 10G unmetered for $300/month, that'd be a good deal. Plenty of space for a quad node system and a switch. Or am I missing something here?