SM X9SRL-F no POST, possible old BIOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
Hey

Ordered a used SM X9SRL-F to replace my non -F board so I finally have IPMI on all systems.

Only issue is the board powers on, no VGA output and no beeps. The motherboard IPMI heartbeat LED is blinking on the board though.

Given that I'm using a Xeon E5-1620v2 chip and the seller was using an E5-2650 I think it's possible that the board might be running an older BIOS version, as according to Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SRL-F "BIOS version 3.0 or above is required " for v2 chips.

I would have expected some beeps from the board if the CPU isn't compatible?

Am I able to update the BIOS via IPMI? Other boards it seems like it might be possible: FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

I have reset CMOS but still unable to find a IP DHCP lease from the IPMI controller so wondering if IPMI is powered up after post.

Have tried all the obvious things as different power supplies, memory modules and no add in cards. But the fact everything works on my non -F board, leaves the board being the issue!

Thanks