SM H12 New BIOS and IPMI Released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AugustaLemke

Sep 6, 2021
Supermicro just posted new BIOS and IPMI for the H12 Series....

Haven't seen any updates on this board for a year. There is a changelog for the BMC but there is no changelog on the BIOS. Also, even though the BIOS was just released yesterday, it's from Sept 2022. I wonder what's changed and why they held off for 8 months before release?

Reactions: jei and ano

ano

Nov 7, 2022
well.. now Im wondering, security stuff & performance hits? hmm

MasterControl

Jan 15, 2023
For anyone with H12DSi-N6/NT6 there is a bug in the new BIOS/BMC firmware (v2.6/1.01.24) where the VRM sensors for NIC Temp, CPU2_VRMIN Temp, SOC2_VRMIN Temp, P2_VRMABCD Temp, and P2_VRMEFGH Temp show N/A. The PM at Supermicro is aware of the issue and will be submitting a new BIOS/BMC early next week. They actually pulled the new bios/bmc firmware off of the H12DSi-N6 webpage.

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
Looks like the new BIOS comes without a release note this time...

The only thing I noticed is for 7003, the AGESA version is updated to MilanPI-SP3 1.0.0.9.

And after upgrading the Tctl/Tdie seem to be reporting weird temperature readings on my EPYC 7543.

Before upgrade (2.4):
2.4-sct.png

After upgrade (2.5):
2.5-sct.png

Last edited:

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
updated only because I was really hoping SM would add resizable bar but that was a long shot.
I asked them but they said they won’t do it unless you are a large client in which case they will roll some special OEM BIOS for you

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
I asked them but they said they won’t do it unless you are a large client in which case they will roll some special OEM BIOS for you
Hah, I don't think they'll consider 1 H12 and 1 H11 MB a large client. It's really a shame that they won't take care of the little guy.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Hah, I don't think they'll consider 1 H12 and 1 H11 MB a large client. It's really a shame that they won't take care of the little guy.
That should be added to the review, Does not support resizable bar and supermicro refuses to add it.

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
That should be added to the review, Does not support resizable bar and supermicro refuses to add it.
I don’t think there are any EPYC motherboards have official ReBAR support from manufacturer…

Unfortunately Supermicro has secure BIOS starting from H12 so we cannot mod it on our own.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Unfortunately Supermicro has secure BIOS starting from H12 so we cannot mod it on our own.
that is correct and not. you can use your own signed BIOS like OEMs do.
you just have to re-sign the BIOS (don't ask me how) and load the BIOS with your public-key/cert.

4.1 Customizing SUM Configurations
certificate - Sets certificate files to verify the customized and signed RoT firmware images. - .sumrc file only
( [6]The certificate file only supports X.509 in PEM and DER formats. )

There are three ways to specify the .sumrc file: command option --rc_path (highest priority), .sumrc file in the current directory (intermediate priority) and .sumrc in the user home directory (lowest priority).
Note that a .sumrc sample configuration file is bundled with SUM release package. An example is provided below.
Code:
#certificate = /home/administrator/cert/public.cert

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
that is correct and not. you can use your own signed BIOS like OEMs do.
you just have to re-sign the BIOS (don't ask me how) and load the BIOS with your public-key/cert.

4.1 Customizing SUM Configurations
certificate - Sets certificate files to verify the customized and signed RoT firmware images. - .sumrc file only
( [6]The certificate file only supports X.509 in PEM and DER formats. )

There are three ways to specify the .sumrc file: command option --rc_path (highest priority), .sumrc file in the current directory (intermediate priority) and .sumrc in the user home directory (lowest priority).
Note that a .sumrc sample configuration file is bundled with SUM release package. An example is provided below.
Code:
#certificate = /home/administrator/cert/public.cert
Thanks for this! I thought it was impossible on H12 boards.