SM 2U 12 disk JBOD - $180 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Normally for $180 + 68 shipping I wouldn't be too excited but I looked at the listing closer:
SuperMicro 12 bay Disk enclosure with SAS expander and JBOD power board.

It has both the JBOD power board and the internal to external cable and bracket. The last time I bought those two components they cost me $100/ together.

Included backplane is the 3gb expander model so not great. Selling for 75 on ebay now.

Direct replacement: Supermicro 2U Server SAS/SATA 12 Bay Backplane BPN-SAS-826A _ SAS826A sub-$90 with free ship and OBO.

PSUs selling $30 for a pair

A case where the whole is selling for less than the parts.

Reactions: artbird309 and knaj

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
How would you compare this to a SA120?

This deal is slightly cheaper when you include the cost of adding the caddies to the sa120 but is used vs new.

I am looking at moving my SATA disks from an eSATA JBOD enclosure to a SAS enclosure and am 99% sure I want the SA120, but this SuperMicro looks tempting.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on how this would compare with a SA120 in terms of noise, power, throughput and reliability? Or any other metrics I haven't thought about?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I think better deals can be found on the SA120 even if you have to buy caddies it's basically offset by the fact you have to get a newer backplane for the Supermicro if you wanna use disks over 2TB.