SM 1U 8x 2.5" bay chassis - $130/ ea

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought one of these back in May for $95.00. But even at $130.00 it's a good deal. For a 1U it's remarkably quiet. It's shorter than a standard 1U chassis. The X8DTL-3F is a standard size ATM MB. I don't think a E-ATX board would fit. It has an onboard LSI 1068 controller but I put a Dell Perc H310 in it. There's only 1 slot available so expansion options are limited. It's a small, relatively quiet little server.:)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This is a great chassis and a good price. I have a whole stack of them (some 113, some 113M) in my Proxmox/Ceph cluster.

Listing says he has "hundreds" of them, so I'm betting you could get close to or even below $100 in modest quantities. As a recycler he probably got them by the pound so even $100 is profitable. I think people where getting them below $100 on another listing - but that might have been without trays.

The MB is a "3F", which means SAS-1 LSI1068. Might not be what you really want for SSDs, but probably cool for SATA drives. Might have issues with >2TB.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I bought one of these back in May for $95.00. :)
I think they still have that version but with no trays. Easier just to get everything at once.

What are you using for rails or are your just mounting them directly?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I think they still have that version but with no trays. Easier just to get everything at once.

What are you using for rails or are your just mounting them directly?
Now that you mention it, it didn't come with caddies, I had to buy them separately so the price works out to about the same. I ordered a set of 1U rails from eBay for 25 bucks.

sd11

Jun 2, 2016
Would anyone happen to know what kind of power consumption this unit w/o disks draws?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Would anyone happen to know what kind of power consumption this unit w/o disks draws?
Depends entirely on what cpu(s) and ram you install. Low end idle probably just under 100w (single low power cpu and small amount of ram). Could up upwards of 300w+ with hotter cpus and loads of ram, running at load.

The PSU it comes with isn't particularly efficient but replacing probably costs about $100-130 - the same as the cost of the whole chassis.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Stupid question: Is it loud? I assume yes.
Thanks
It's amazingly quiet. Quietest 1U I've ever seen by a long shot. So quiet that I checked all the fans to make sure they were running.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Now that you mention it, it didn't come with caddies, I had to buy them separately so the price works out to about the same. I ordered a set of 1U rails from eBay for 25 bucks.
Happen to remember the model number on the 1U rails?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Would a Xeon-D board fit in one of these and be sufficiently cooled? Assuming so.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Would a Xeon-D board fit in one of these and be sufficiently cooled? Assuming so.
The SM FlexATX boards fit perfectly (I have 3 chassis set up this way). I've not been able to identify the correct 1U IO shield part number. I just pulled the IO shield and am running without one for now.

Xeon-D cooling is something of a problem in any case you put them in. They are just hot chips and have small heatsinks on them. You need some form of a shroud in the chassis to ensure that you get pretty direct airflow from 2 or 3 of the fans to keep it acceptable - and even then its pretty warm. Since these are shipped with the X8DTL-3F MBs it should have a shroud included that can be snipped/bent/folded to work OK.

The Mini-ITX boards fit too - but the PCIe slot won't line up with the riser and none of then have enough SATA ports to really use the 8x hotswap bays. Stick to the FlexATX boards with built in LSI2116 or for the ones without on-board SAS use the riser to plug in an appropriate HBA.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Are the mobo's in these worth a damn or basically strip and throw away/offload for next to nothing? I thought about reaching out to him and asking if he could shell/bare chassis it could I get them for $75-100 IF he would even consider that...prolly not.

Picked one up on impulse buy @$120 :-D

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@whitey my plan is to shuck the motherboards.
List them on eBay. Shockingly, used ones are regularly selling in the $80-120 range. No idea why - seems ridiculous - but you can recover a good portion of the cost of the chassis. And if they don't sell its off to the eWaste with them.

When I bought similar chassis earlier this year I got an average of $95 for this same MB. Take off shipping and seller fees and I clear about $70/each.

Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
They are really decent motherboards with plenty of expandability, it would be a shame to trash them.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks @PigLover - I am likely going to try that. I think I have some LGA1366 CPUs somewhere that I will probably throw in.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
List them on eBay. Shockingly, used ones are regularly selling in the $80-120 range. No idea why - seems ridiculous - but you can recover a good portion of the cost of the chassis. And if they don't sell its off to the eWaste with them.

When I bought similar chassis earlier this year I got an average of $95 for this same MB. Take off shipping and seller fees and I clear about $70/each.
So I got mine today, case/chassis is in good shape other than shipping booboo (bent bezel handle on the right, crescent wrench fixed up quickly good as new).

NOT so good is I can clearly see damage to the mobo in that the socket w/out a heatsink mounted over it has several pins bent. Took off heatsink covering other socket 'hoping' to find a proc...nothing and guess what...more bent pins, now this thing really is damn near trash/worthless to me :-(

Just my luck, reached out to seller to see what he can do to make it right, feels like I should only have paid $60-75 for the chassis. Ugggh

Now to decide between a X10SDV-7TP4F or X10SDV-4C-7TP4F to throw in this hog.

Just gonna go to a co-lo as my offsite backup, shouldn't need too much horsepower.

Last edited:
Reactions: wsuff