Slimsas 8i to MinisasHD problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jakstern

Jul 14, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of building my own DIY storage server, and I recently purchased a 24-bay server chassis from Alibaba. The chassis came with a simple backplane, consisting of six Mini-SAS HD connectors, each serving four drives. Initially, I connected the backplane to the HBA using Mini-SAS HD to Mini-SAS HD cables, and everything worked perfectly.

However, due to the limited number of Mini-SAS HD connectors available, I wanted to utilize the SlimSAS 8i connectors present on the motherboard to connect the remaining drives. These connectors have the capability to support both SATA and PCIe, and the SATA mode has been enabled in the BIOS. I already tried two types of cables - cbl-sast-0826 and cbl-sast-0832. Both of these cables are supposed to be SlimSAS 8i (host) to 2x Mini-SAS HD (target) cables.

But here's where the problem arises. When I connected the SlimSAS cables, it seemed as if they were shorted, my server was unable to start up properly. Furthermore, the SlimSAS connector itself became excessively hot.

I suspect that I may have purchased the wrong type of cable for this setup. If any of you have any ideas about the correct cable type I should be using, I would greatly appreciate your help.

The motherboard is ASRock ROMED6U-2L2T

Thank you in advance!

fjstore

Jan 17, 2019
The slimsas X8-8643 has two protocols, and the SAS protocol and the PCIe protocol cannot coexist