Single power supply for several micro servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
Hi there,
This is probably a daft idea, but.... I've ordered a few more lenovo micro servers with a view of building out a proxmox cluster, im hoping to find a wall mounted letter rack or similar to house them and also an 8 port 2.5gb qnap switch. Its going to look a bit of an eyesore with cables everywhere, in particular power cables, I can get some very short interconnect cables made up at work so they can be hidden. This has got me thinking, I wonder if i can get a very efficient 90% plus power supply with enough amp's to cover my needs. A normal ATX psu is only 12v so thats out of the question i suppose.

As i said, probably a daft idea!

Andy

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
whats the original power adapters/supplies ratings in those micro servers? it won't be nice and clean - i can promise you that.

bigfellasdad

Apr 10, 2018
20v and 90w (4.5 amps). Ive spoken to picoPSU and asked the same question, its a long shot I know :)
I think the most likely solution is to have a shelf/draw combination and put the switch and PSUs in the draw. If temps become as issue, which i dont have much concern because, England! I could always get a 120mm temp controlled fan in the back of the draw.

Too much time on my hands today i think :)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I think to accomplish that one would need 160V 36A 720W psu (for 6-7 micro servers - max theoretical 8) should get switching power distribution board, and splice some wires.

(its not going to be a normal pc psu - as they do not deliver that many volts or amps.)

You would need to look for something that can deliver that; There are power supplies that do that - not meant for PC's but there's no issue of powering PC's with them.

and then use the ~ 40A distribution board (ex)
1675180814748.png

and wire your input and outputs here...
ps. make sure to install correct breakers for 4.5-5A on each connection.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
SCHIIT the audio gear company has a power brick I purchased that's the size of 4, and iirc has 3 or 4 cables coming off. The goal is to reduce the need for 3 or 4 power bricks to just this one for their audio stack. Maybe looking at what they're offering and go from there?