Single NVME node Ceph Benchmarking OSD Tips

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by OBasel, May 22, 2017.

1. OBasel

OBasel Active Member

I'm trying to benchmark a single Ceph node and have 8 NVMe drives setup as OSD's but my speeds are 700MB / sec. Any tips on why I'm missing the speed of even one drive?

2. vrod

vrod Active Member

First of all I believe the point of ceph is to span a storage across several nodes and not just one. As far as i know though, ceph is really not that good in performance. Unless you are planning to expand to other nodes with ceph, go zfs or something similar.

3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@OBasel sorry I missed this. The trick in these types of systems is multiple OSD per NVMe device. That is an extremely common practice for NVMe OSDs.

4. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Ceph is not a performant solution and you have found the per OSD bottleneck.

Just to clarify, this is a test lab solution to get performance, not a production solution.