Single NIC, multiple VLANs - Server 2012R2 & Arista switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I've a Server 2012 R2 system running without Hyper-V.
I'd like to setup a single-port 10Gbe Solarflare NIC to have two virtual NICS - each tagging a different VLAN.
Is this possible without installing Hyper-V and setting up virtual switches?
I've looked but haven't found any guides out there for doing this.

On the Arista switch, I've configured the port as follows:
switchport access vlan 1
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2
switchport mode trunk

In Server 2012 R2, I've configured the port as a team and created two teamed interfaces - each tagged with one of the two VLANs. The problem I'm seeing is that the incoming traffic is rejected.
What am I doing wrong?

I know I can do all of this through the Solarflare Management Utility but I'd rather know how to do this in the event that I'd like configure a different type of NIC in a similar fashion.

Thank you.

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
Not tried it myself yet but apparently you can use 2012's new bonding GUI to set up 802.1q VLANs on a trunk: HowTo Configure Multiple VLANs on Windows 2012 ... | Mellanox Interconnect Community
I'd also come across that guide in my searches. Solarflare doesn't have an option to allow specifying "VLAN 0" in the devices Advanced Settings tab. I'm not sure how critical this specific setting is but it was the only part of the guide that I wasn't able to follow.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I don't get your idea on using Hyper-V vmswitches, teaming, and what not more.
Setting up vNICs is on the physical NIC. Nothing else.

After that you can set a VLAN ID on the port.
In Powershell you use Set-NetAdapter for that, if you can't do that in the NIC software.