Simple one for you all, 10G optics and OM4 cabling

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Looking at potentially replacing DAC's w/ 10G SR transceivers on switch/nics. Switch is Juniper EX3300. I have found these to work perfect on that end connected to a mellanox ConnectX-2 10G port (came w/ a 10G SR 850nm optic).

Juniper Networks EX-SFP-10GE-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM

All my other 10G nic adapters are Intel X520-DA2, will this transceiver/optic work, FS rep confirms it does, just wanna be sure as I could not find a Intel SFP+ SR optics directly unless I am just blind, ebay searches show Intel PN E10GSFPSR FTLX8571D3BCV-I3 as the optic.

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM

Onto the cabling question, I know both OM3/4 cabling can push 10G, I have an OM3 cable between EX330 and MLX adapter now, probably should just go all 1M OM4 runs (same matching pretty color haha).

I am lost here though, I 'think' I want LC to CL connection right? What the hell is the differnnce between PVC(OFNR) and LSZH or will they both work, just trying to find a good/economical OM4 1M 10G patch cable that is future proofed potentially for 40G, maybe 40GbE is only delivered in a QSFP form factor though have not researched this. Overall idea is to either get optics for existing switch/nics or just switch and get those fancy MLX QSFP to 10G SFP+ adapters and come off of MLX3 cards IF I replace my Intel X520-da2's. Simplex/duplex wtf :-D

OM4 40/100Gb 50/125 Multimode Fiber Patch Cables | FS.COM

TIA for all tips/toughts/pointing me in the right direction, whitey

EDIT: Sorry all think I found the answer to at least one of my questions, found this, looks like the FS knockoff to me for the intel X520-da2 optic/transceiver. Wonder why FS rep told me the Cisco one would work, hell maybe it does as well, always heard the Intel 10G nics we're b|tchy abt optics so playing it safe.

Intel E10GSFPSR 1000BASE-SX and 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I have read your thread, and I think you may have some misconception about the 10G cabling.

You want to replace the DAC/10G SR transceiver, can you tell me the old one that you have used ? Considering you switch is Juniper-branded, it is more preferable for you to use the juniper 10G SR transceiver.

As for the 10G cabling question, indeed both OM3 and OM4 can support up to 10Gbqs, but obviously OM4 cable can privide longer link distance for both 10G and 40G. 1m OM4 LC fiber optic cable is suitbale for ypu.

The PVC(OFNR) and LSZH refers to the jacket material of the fiber optic cable. Each has different usage.

LSZH stands for Low Smoke Zero Halogen and describes a cable jacket material that is non-halogenated and flame retardant. Low smoke zero halogen cable reduces the amount of toxic and corrosive gas emitted during combustion. This type of material is typically used in poorly ventilated areas such as aircraft or rail cars.

While OFNR (Optical fiber nonconductive riser) is a type of optical fiber cable. As designated by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), this cable is used for interior fiber-optic cables which contain no electrically conductive components, and which are certified for use in riser applications.They can be installed in ducts, plenums and other spaces used for building airflow. This is the highest fire rating fiber cable and can't be replaced with any other cable type.

It is advisable for you to use the OFNR cables—the highest fire rating fiber cable.

If you want to future proof to 40Gbqs, you can have a look at this solution for your reference.

In terms of the final queation, yes,the Dell NIC is picky about the optics, to prevent from the trouble, you should use the safer ones although I trusted fs.com.

Reactions: pc_doom

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
When I have ordered optics from fs they tend to double-check with me after placing the order what switch/nic to code them for and I have yet to have a problem, but I would suggest you explicitly code it for intel for the nic side. While my ex3300's have been good about working with any DAC or Optic I have tried so far, the Intel x520-DA2 was picky and didn't like some of the random Finistar optics I got for free with my LB6M's where the connect-x cards and other switches were happy with the same modules.

Reactions: pc_doom