Silent 10gbe switch for silent lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ponury Typ

Oct 28, 2015
Hey, so i am looking for ultra silent 10gbe switch. What i need is at last 6 ports and total silence. This is with what i came up:

2x Qnap QSW-M408-4C
+ they suppose to be silent
- it has 8x1gbit

2x Netgear MS510TXM
+ those have 4x10gbe +2x10gb sfp and 4x2.5gbe
+ according to my contact in netgear they suppose to be "silent for office"
- brand new hardware - no one knows what shit will came up with this down the road
- no where to be seen (its brand new product)

Netgear XS712Tv2 with noctua fans mod
+ 12x10gbe ports
- no multi-gigabit ports
- loud with netgear original fans
- warranty will be void when I do the mod (swamping fans)

My question is there any other option? And if not, what choice will be the best out of this three?

Last edited:

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
I have the MicroTik works well... not doing to much just some iSCSI traffic no VLANS

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
I have had the mikrotik as well, and it is silent, since it has no fans - just a huge heatsink so it gets hot, but runs quiet :)

I have a Netgear XS708T with a noctua fan, and it is also silent.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I have a Qnap QSW-M408-4C and it's not bad, silent and only gets mildly warm. It was not running at the full 10G until today, worked with QNAP support to fix their broken flow control system - new firmware released. They listened and now the switch runs 100%. Very quiet, no fans. Still not able to get VLANs working with LACP but oh well can be fixed too. Works with both FS.com generic DAC cables and generic SR transceivers.

Ponury Typ

Oct 28, 2015
Thanks for all the replays. I end up buying 2 CRS309-1G-8S+IN with 8 S+RJ10 (4 per switch).

Last edited:

JL_

Oct 4, 2021
@Ponury Typ - How have the CRS309's worked out? Do you find the quiet enough?

Alternatively, can anyone point me at instructions on doing the Noctua fan mod for the XS712Tv2? I tried to modify an XS716E, but it turns out that netgear have done something non-standard, and shut down after-market fans.

Reactions: drvcrash

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I have a Qnap QSW-M408-4C and it's not bad, silent and only gets mildly warm. It was not running at the full 10G until today, worked with QNAP support to fix their broken flow control system - new firmware released. They listened and now the switch runs 100%. Very quiet, no fans. Still not able to get VLANs working with LACP but oh well can be fixed too. Works with both FS.com generic DAC cables and generic SR transceivers.
Their datasheet shows fans so is fanless a new version?

Ponury Typ

Oct 28, 2015
@Ponury Typ - How have the CRS309's worked out? Do you find the quiet enough?

Alternatively, can anyone point me at instructions on doing the Noctua fan mod for the XS712Tv2? I tried to modify an XS716E, but it turns out that netgear have done something non-standard, and shut down after-market fans.
Yes, they work out great. Just keep in mind if You want 10gbe on those You can use max 4 ports. Adapters are getting supper hot (according to switch software they are around 60*C to 70*C) so you suppose to have empty (not used) port between those adapters.