Silencing APC SmartUPS SUA750 and SUA1500 on battery beeps?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have a few of these SUA750 and SUA1500 models in my house. Been using them for years and they have been reliable as tanks.

We are talking these good old models:

1710009741169.png1710009762628.png

Recently I moved and now these units need to be closer to a living area than they used to be, which is resulting in beeps from power outages being a real nuisance.

Without the use of software like PowerChute is there a way to quickly silence them using the front panel or something else, to stop the beeping every 30 seconds when the power goes out?

Appreciate any suggestions!

--Matt

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Disassemble. Remove buzzer. Reassemble. Enjoy.
Like, just desolder them?

And that won't cause electrical problems, as they were designed with something in that position that is no longer there? Should they be replaced with a small resistor instead?

I don't usually have the fine motor skills necessary to take a soldering iron to a circuit board, but maybe it will work. These might even be through hole, which is much easier...

nexox

May 3, 2023
You can always fill the buzzer with hot glue, won't totally silence it, but should make it much quieter. I suspect that the UPS doesn't care whether the buzzer is in the circuit or not, but chances are someone has done this with those models and documented it somewhere on the Internet.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I had an APC UPS continuously sounding tones. Replaced with OEM batteries. Waited for them to fully charge, but still would not silence the tones. Ordered a new unit from Amazon and took old unit to recycler. I think I got 15 years out of the old one with battery replacements every ~5 years.

If you physically disable the buzzer, you won't get audible notifications for UPS faults, e.g. battery fault. The equivalent of putting a piece of tape over the check engine light on your car.

Might be better to use PowerChute to selectively disable audible notifications.