Should I use open-vm-tools instead of vmware-tools solaris?

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by AveryFreeman, Mar 12, 2019.

1. AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman ESXi + ( BSD / ZFS ) = HAPPY

Hi,

Here's what I'm using:
    Code:
    root@napp-it01:~# cat /etc/release                                           
      OmniOS v11 r151028r                                                         
      Copyright 2017 OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved.       
      Copyright 2017-2019 OmniOS Community Edition (OmniOSce) Association.       
      All rights reserved. Use is subject to licence terms.

root@napp-it01:~# uname -a                                                   
    SunOS napp-it01 5.11 omnios-r151028-3aeadc46d9 i86pc i386 i86pc illumos       

just a general question - maybe someone knows better than I do:

VMware themselves recommend using open-vm-tools from package repo rather than vmware-tools.iso for a variety of reasons: Using Open VM Tools

With the caveat that it is only supported on certain systems:

List of operating systems with open-vm-tools
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 and later releases
    • SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 and later releases
    • Ubuntu 14.04 and later releases
    • CentOS 7 and later releases
    • FreeBSD 10.3, 10.4 & 11.1
    • Debian 7.x and later releases
    • Oracle Linux 7 and later
    • Fedora 19 and later releases
    • openSUSE 11.x and later releases[/code]
    Of which, Solaris is not listed, let alone Illumos variants.

I just noticed when looking in pkg that open-vm-tools is available for OmniOS:
    Code:
    root@napp-it01:~# pkg search open-vm-tools                                   
    INDEX      ACTION VALUE                                      PACKAGE         
    basename   dir    usr/lib/open-vm-tools                      pkg:/system/virtu
    ization/open-vm-tools@10.3.0-151028.0                                         
    basename   dir    usr/share/open-vm-tools                    pkg:/system/virtu
    pkg.fmri   set    omnios/system/virtualization/open-vm-tools pkg:/system/virtu

Should I be using open-vm-tools rather than the vmware-tools from solaris.iso? (I'm on 10.25.0 if that makes a difference).

2. gea

gea Well-Known Member

For OmniOS and OpenIndiana, I just use the open-vm-tools from the OS repositories.
    For Solaris 11.4 open-vm-tools are not in the repository. VMware tools from ESXi 6.7U1 are suited then and adapted to Solaris 11.4.