sg_format fails on HGST HUSMM1640ASS201

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dresselj

Dec 27, 2019
Hoping someone here can help me. I recently bought some used EMC HGST SSDs and I'm having trouble getting them formatted and usable.

When I try to run "sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/sg1" on CentOS 7 with the drive connected through an H310 flashed to IT mode I get "Sense Key: Data Protect Additional sense: Access denied - no access rights Format command failed FORMAT failed"

upload_2019-12-27_18-59-25.png

I get the same error when I run a "sg_sanitize -B -v /dev/sg1"

upload_2019-12-27_19-0-42.png

A few other users were reporting a similar issue at https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ormat-hdd-ssd-to-512b-sector-size.4968/page-5 and one claimed to have solved it using sedutil-cli but when I run a "sedutil-cli --scan" I don't get any disks back.

upload_2019-12-27_19-3-36.png

Does anyone have any suggestions to get these drives working? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
It seems, you have to configure the "encryption key" before to be able to use it.
I never used theses, but you should have a key labeled on the disk itself.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I haven't any experience with SED disks, and didn't known how to achieve this.
I hoped that sedutil was useful like you tried but i didn't know why it didn't detect your drive...

can you try with another HBA (in passthrough mode) to be sure it's not because your HBA is hiding something ?

dresselj

Dec 27, 2019
I still can't see the drive with "sedutil-cli --scan" using an HBA330 as well so I think I've ruled out the HBA at this point. Does anyone have any other suggestions? All of the sedutil-cli commands fail on the disk as "Invalid or unsupported disk".

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I brought a bunch of cheap 4TB SAS disks with 528 sector.
I tried to use sg_format , sg_format failed to re-format disk to 512.

I almost gave up ,then I found this setblocksize, it worked and I was able to format the disk to 512

ahouston/setblocksize
./setblocksize -b512 -t1200 /dev/sg2

Reactions: yukas

davidthuong

Oct 23, 2019
Hoping someone here can help me. I recently bought some used EMC HGST SSDs and I'm having trouble getting them formatted and usable.

When I try to run "sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/sg1" on CentOS 7 with the drive connected through an H310 flashed to IT mode I get "Sense Key: Data Protect Additional sense: Access denied - no access rights Format command failed FORMAT failed"

View attachment 12606

View attachment 12607

A few other users were reporting a similar issue at https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ormat-hdd-ssd-to-512b-sector-size.4968/page-5 and one claimed to have solved it using sedutil-cli but when I run a "sedutil-cli --scan" I don't get any disks back.

View attachment 12609

Does anyone have any suggestions to get these drives working? Thanks in advance!
i have same . how to format disk

sivanov

Aug 8, 2020
Try formatting with current sector size first, then re-format with 512b sector size. It seems that firmware refuse change sector size unless it sees the drive as "empty".

davidthuong

Oct 23, 2019

View attachment 12606

View attachment 12607

View attachment 12609

i have same issue

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
The datasheet for these suggests that the end 1 code is an encrypted drive

I've observed in the past a pile of similar format related errors until the encryption is released/reset. Perhaps have a read of this

of course, if you've got locked firmware you may be sol unless you can find an alternative.