SFP+ to 10Gbase-T Adapter Module Buyers Guide

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I have a Force10/Dell S4810 (48 SFP+ ports and 4 QSFP+ ports). I'm pretty sure 10Gbit and 1Gbit would work as the switch officially supports those speeds, but I'm wondering if 2.5 or 5Gbit would work with the right module (speeds the switch doesn't officially support) to allow me to connect my main workstation/desktop (dual 2660v3 with 64GB RAM) with more bandwidth without having to run optical line.

Has anyone else tried these modules at 2.5 and/or 5.0 Gbit speeds on older 10Gbit equipment that doesn't list those speed options to see if the module will connect at those speeds anyway? This article tested with the MikroTik switch, which is good, but I believe it officially lists support for NGbase-T, unlike my S4810.

Reactions: llowrey

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
1. Can anyone post link for that Wiitek SFP? I ordered Hifiber one, but it says will arrive in 4 weeks.
2. I got same question as above. I have Aruba 2930F switch. Is there way to run 2.5 or 5Gbps off SFP?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Very nice aggregation of the individual articles, thanks.

I would recommend to add a part about the heat dissipation and cooling requirements to this piece as well so people don't go out putting loads of those into unventilated places/tight packed switches.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
I ended up buying the HiFiber transceiver and the 2.5Gbit USB NIC for my desktop last Thursday (the day before the review of the same USB NIC was posted here on STH), and received the parts today.

On my S4810 it says the transceiver is connecting at 10Gbit, but the NIC says it is connecting at 2.5Gbit.

A copy of a 37GB file was going around 300MB/s from my desktop to my server, so I consider those ~US$80 well spent.

Maybe I'll buy a 10GBase-T Intel or Broadcom NIC one day to see if I can connect at 10Gbit even, but for now, my switch mis-reports the speed, but lets the USB NIC connect at its maximum speed just fine.

I figured this may help others.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I know many have become accustomed to cheap FS transceivers and all, but it still seems a little peculiar to me that in a comparison like this that no or little value is given to the brand/manufacturer, while I wouldn't call Mikrotik a highend brand or anything I certainly would put more faith in something they've made than some of these random manufacturer/resellers here.

Another thing I believe is missing here, is a teardown of the devices, while they probably all use the same Marvell chip(s) that Mikrotik is(are) using, it would be helpful to understand the differences between the various devices. Perhaps it might also give some insight into stuff that is not always immediately apparent, such as production quality

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I know many have become accustomed to cheap FS transceivers and all, but it still seems a little peculiar to me that in a comparison like this that no or little value is given to the brand/manufacturer, while I wouldn't call Mikrotik a highend brand or anything I certainly would put more faith in something they've made than some of these random manufacturer/resellers here.
I think these are (more or less) the same product by one manufacturer rebranded for mikrotik etc.
(The 6com, qsfptek and adop use probably the same hardware as mikrotiks first gen of sfp+ to rj+45 adapters)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I think these are (more or less) the same product by one manufacturer rebranded for mikrotik etc.
(The 6com, qsfptek and adop use probably the same hardware as mikrotiks first gen of sfp+ to rj+45 adapters)
I also strongly suspect that at least the design is the same, it could be something like a reference design by Marvell. Now whether it is the same ODM/OEM is an interesting thought, AFAIK Mikrotik makes their own devices in Latvia (this post on their forum from 2011 at least claims that is the case), whether that includes small devices like this is not exactly clear, so perhaps it is another good reason to do tear downs? ;)

EDIT: a more recent post from 2018 says that Mikrotik makes stuff in Latvia, Lithuania, but also suggests there are other places.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I also strongly suspect that at least the design is the same, it could be something like a reference design by Marvell...
This ^^^

Of course it is also true that quality components and quality controls in manufacturing are important, even with a reference design. Look at the knockoff NICs you see on eBay. Even though they are the same "design" as the branded part their quality and reliability are often quite poor.