Server Query

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DocJuan

Feb 24, 2023
Hi. I work in a diagnostic laboratory and we are getting a digitial imaging equipment with a requirement of a server. I have an existing 7950X on an Asus X670-E extreme, 64GB of RAM connected to an 8bay NAS with 32GB ECC RAM and m.2 cache drives on a 10GbE network. Will this suffice for an SQL server? The supplier of this imaging equipment advised to get a xeon based system (sold by the supplier) because the 7950X does not meet minimum requirement. Here is a photo of what they sent me (refer to attachment):

Attachments

vudu

Dec 30, 2017
Depending on how the system is to be supported and based on the little info provided, I would follow the hardware specs recommended. Not necessarily as provided by the supplier. Support providers are always looking for excuses to pass the buck (responsibility). Best to give as little opportunity as possible.

Reactions: ghost792

986box

Oct 14, 2017
if you need support from the vendor, buy at the minimum specifications. Else if there is any issues, vendor will not look at it unless it meets minimum specs.

ghost792

Jun 19, 2023
I’d get the box from the supplier. That way, if there are any issues, it’s on them and they have very little room to pass the blame to someone else.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That AMD would blow away that Intel for SQL as long as you don't need more RAM.

Why not try to use it, and if it's not working how you want then get the vendor supplied server and don't mention to them you tried before on another system? You could always tell them budget doesn't allow it, so the new equip will sit until you get the server in xMonths... test out what you have, then decide to order from them or not ???

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Your X670 system almost certainly will suffice. You didn't mention any local storage on the X670 box; if there is none, I'd pop in a 2TB NVMe drive for the SQL server (don't run it on a network drive). The NVMe can be bigger if you plan to temporarily store diagnostic images on it before moving them to the NAS. Implement automated backups, and test them.

mikegrok

Feb 26, 2023
Alabama, USA
You may need more local disk for the sql server, with independent backup, ie to your NAS, running the data store for an SQL server from a generic NAS will probably be too slow.

Another option is to virtualize the server and lie to the guest OS to its hardware capabilities so that their validation software is satisfied. This has the advantage that if their software goes rogue, it it compartmentalized.

BTW the license for the sql server may be several times the value of this computer. It may be worthwhile to just buy whatever box they require and get on with life.