"Server" Parts & Components Specs Database?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rrrix

Aug 26, 2023
Hi! I'm new to the STH forums, just joined today.

I'm a long-time fan of the STH YouTube channel and avid reader of the STH main site. Hi Patrick if you read this!

I've been thinking and researching about this topic on and off for a couple of years now, but have yet to engage with a broader community on the subject.

Perhaps I haven't found it yet - but there doesn't seem to be any sites or projects which focus on Workstation and Server parts and components that allow users to search / filter / query / compare across a comprehensive list of components. Like, PCPartPicker, but not for PCs - rather things that would end up in a [1-N]U chassis in a 19" rack in a server room or a data center.

Also (albeit interesting) price tracking is NOT the main feature I'm looking for.

I'm more interested in being able to filter and compare components by their capabilities and specifications across vendors.

For example, in my experience It's darn near impossible to find information that is both current and complete like:
  1. A list of WRX80 motherboards (and the full and complete specs!)
  2. A list of x86-64 CPUs with a maximum TDP of 65W, at least 4 cores, virtualization support, and that support H.265/HEVC
  3. A list of PCIe 4.0 24G SAS / SAS-4 HBA (non-RAID) adapters
  4. A list of mATX Socket SP5 (EPYC) motherboards supporting at least 256GB RAM, 2x PCIe 5.0 x16 slots, onboard IPMI or RedFish
The closest things I've come across:
Sadly, if this really doesn't exist, then I'm just going to have to build it myself (yes, I'm a Software Engineer).

So, prompts:

Do you know of a Server / Data Center parts & components Database?

Would you use a website that was specifically designed and built for DIY server & pro workstation builds?

What would you like to see on a part & component index site - things like Networking (switches, routers, cables), Storage (disks, adapters, backplanes), Power parts (PDUs, UPS, conditioners)?

rrrix

Aug 26, 2023
Wow. Awesome! First time I've seen Skinflint.co.uk, thank you @i386!! Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

After digging through for a bit, it seems to be exclusively oriented around European markets - all prices are in £ or € (which I'm ok with, I'm just interested in the other data). However, It does make me wonder though, if a particular SKU isn't available in European markets for some reason... would they still list it or even know about it? (e.g. a vendor may have different SKU's / products for Europe vs USA vs East/Southeast Asia).

Thanks for sharing!