Server pairing with SE3016

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

robopt

Nov 25, 2014
I am finally deciding to move my drives out of my desktop and making an actual storage server. I am currently running 5x2TB RAID5 and a 4x3TB RAID5 on a 3ware 9650SE-16ML. I have done a bit of research, googling, etc.. and decided that the SE3016 will probably be the best bet for me. Other threads have said they support 3TB drives, have decent throughput, and that I'll have room for expansion.

My dilemma is that I will need a separate server to interface with the SAS out of the SE3016 but my 9650SE is a full size card, and I doubt I could find a way to cram that into a 1U. I am wondering would it be easier to swap to a IBM5014 to throw into a 1U or to try to find a 2U server that could handle my 9650SE? I would love some suggestions on some chassis or older servers.

Some requirements I'd like to hit:
  • Gbit network
  • PCI-E 2.0 with atleast an 8x (forward compatibility if I want to move to the M5014 or if I want to try the CONNECTX-2)
  • Prefer DDR3 but not required (have a bunch of spare sticks I could throw in)
  • $200-$400
Much appreciated!
~robopt

Reactions: andrewbedia

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Any particular reason you don't want a chassis with storage and the motherboard in it, and instead are going for two chassis instead? That's wattage going to power supplies / fans that don't need to be.

Note, you'd need either a card with a external SAS connector, necessitating the purchase of another HBA, or one of those internal<->external SAS converters which would take up a expansion slot, valuable space on a 1u or 2u chassis.

robopt

Nov 25, 2014
Ironically enough, I ended up getting a ML350e from FMA1394. I have the dilemma of either trying to find those drive bays for under 150$, or just spend ~150$ on the SE3016. My currently plan is to get a SE3016. My next step is to decide how to handle the drive configuration though and I have seen a number of people putting their cards into IT mode and using ZFS.

I have a few questions regarding ZFS...
  • I have heard ZFS is ram hungry... so how much RAM will I need for the 22TB or so of disks I'll be putting in?
  • What is going to be the performance difference versus a dedicated raid card?
  • Suggestions on ZFS vs raid?
Edit: I should note that the 9650SE-12ML is SATA only and doesn't do SAS, ie. I will need to get a new RAID/HBA card regardless.

Last edited:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
If it's any help to you, my friend, these are the benchmarks for my 4x1TB RAID5 using a DELL PERC H700 on Windows 8.1. The drives are 3x WD1002FAEX (WD BLACK) and 1x WD1003FBYX (WD RE4). Your performance should be much higher with more drives and/or LSI CacheCade.