Server Overhaul time. I need some recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I can't tell if J30 is for the BMC. How are you sure?
Sorry if I wasn't clear...Manual says J30 is called "Password Clear Jumper" and when I mentioned that the manual doesn't say which password(s) it clears, I guess it was assumed that I didn't know either! I've never seen one of these servers before, so I don't know what other passwords may be onboard (BIOS, etc.). Sorry I can't be more help.

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The jumper is "Disable BMC". The BMC is enabled when the jumper is off. It needs to be disabled for flashing from command line. Flashing resets the passwords to default values.

Reactions: Markess

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
The jumper is "Disable BMC". The BMC is enabled when the jumper is off. It needs to be disabled for flashing from command line. Flashing resets the passwords to default values.

Thank you sir! I'll give it a shot this evening.

On a different note, this RAID card appears not able to be flashed to IT mode. Any recommendations on a HBA? The IBM M1015 seems to be pretty reasonably priced these days.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Thank you sir! I'll give it a shot this evening.

On a different note, this RAID card appears not able to be flashed to IT mode. Any recommendations on a HBA? The IBM M1015 seems to be pretty reasonably priced these days.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to get one on order ASAP as most of my gear is showing up and shipping times are abysmal these days..........

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I have that exact card (might be preflashed with IT mode) i could probably sell ya
Edit:nvm i dont have a bracket for it

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
9261 is a SAS2108 based RAID controller with LSI MegaRAID firmware. H200 is a SAS2008 based controller which can have IT or IR firmware flashed. You asked for HBA recommendations. I linked the adapter which can be easily flashed to the latest IT mode firmware and function as HBA you asked for.

You should be testing and flashing firmware on all adapters you buy regardless of sellers' claims. Sometimes they lie, sometimes they make honest mistakes. But you are ultimately responsible for your own stuff.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Almost any SAS2008 controller should work for IT mode. Depending on how tight it is inside and if you're planning to use existing pre-routed cables that have had a couple years to "solidify" their placement, you may want to pay attention to the cards connector placement. Other than that, this list is kind of handy:

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2008-raid-controller-hba-information/

One note: The Supermicro cards on the list are meant for their proprietary UIO Cases. So the brackets and components are "on the wrong side". This is easily fixed with $1-2 worth of screws and spacers from the hardware store though. I mention this because these cards can be had new for $15 shipped:

NEW SuperMicro MegaRAID 8-Port PCI SAS Storage RAID Controller AOC-USAS2-L8A L8I | eBay

This guy posted a guide for converting UIO cards to fit in a regular case. I have one I converted with this guide in one of my machines (a tower case) right now. Because the card's components are on the other side from "normal", when its inserted in the tower case, the components face up instead of down, which I think might help to keep it cooler (puts the card's heatsink in the airflow of the rear 120mm fan fan above the rear I/O ports).

Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i IT mode

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
The latest firmware version 20.00.07.00 for the chip was released in 2016. So being old is not the problem.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Got it.

I ordered the Dell card BeTeP linked to. Is this the most reliable and up to date guide for the firmware flashing? https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ There are tons out there but they're all pretty old so I don't know if I can trust the files they contain.
I always refer back to that guide when I flash a controller. Its very helpful. The STEPS are correct, but the firmware he links to is old. You can download the current firmware (P20) from Broadcom, then follow the steps in the guide.

If you have a UEFI BIOS and get an error using this guide, you'll need to boot into a UEFI shell and use SAS2FLASH.EFI instead. There's instructions for that at this link (which coincidentally comes from the comments section of the page you linked to above)

Flashing IT Firmware to the LSI SAS9211-8i HBA - brycv.com

P.S. The card @BeTeP linked you to usually ships with IT firmware, so hopefully, updating to current shouldn't be difficult

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
OK. Baby steps here. I ordered 32 more GB of RAM. Where do I put them?
Again, I don't have one of these, so this is guesswork based on the general hardware platform. I'm assuming 4 more sticks? (if its not 4, please let us know):

a. The next 4 sticks will probably need to go into the 4 remaining blue sockets.

b. I don't think its always the case, but some systems (my Dell for example) are picky about rank count. So you may also want to check the rank count on both the already installed RDIMMs and the "new" ones when they arrive (i.e. 1R, 2R or 4R). On systems where Rank count is an issue, the RDIMMs with the highest rank count need to generally be in the lowest numbered (most outboard) Memory slots. So, for example, if the new sticks have a higher Rank count than the ones you have now, you'd actually want to put the new ones into that first four blue slots you have occupied now, and then move the 4 sticks you have now into the second 4 blue slots. Make sense?

As an aside, how are you liking it? How is the noise? It looks like an interesting system, the price is good, and I've already got RAM & CPUs. The only issue for me is that its 3.5" disks and I actually have a bunch of unused 2.5" disks right now. There's a 24x2.5 disk version but it looks like that is going for more these days.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Again, I don't have one of these, so this is guesswork based on the general hardware platform. I'm assuming 4 more sticks? (if its not 4, please let us know):

a. The next 4 sticks will probably need to go into the 4 remaining blue sockets.

b. I don't think its always the case, but some systems (my Dell for example) are picky about rank count. So you may also want to check the rank count on both the already installed RDIMMs and the "new" ones when they arrive (i.e. 1R, 2R or 4R). On systems where Rank count is an issue, the RDIMMs with the highest rank count need to generally be in the lowest numbered (most outboard) Memory slots. So, for example, if the new sticks have a higher Rank count than the ones you have now, you'd actually want to put the new ones into that first four blue slots you have occupied now, and then move the 4 sticks you have now into the second 4 blue slots. Make sense?

As an aside, how are you liking it? How is the noise? It looks like an interesting system, the price is good, and I've already got RAM & CPUs. The only issue for me is that its 3.5" disks and I actually have a bunch of unused 2.5" disks right now. There's a 24x2.5 disk version but it looks like that is going for more these days.
Thanks for pulling my bacon off the fire, again! The other 4 blue slots worked.

I also got the Dell card installed. It's in IT more so it looks like I'm good there. I still haven't taken the time to address the BMC but I did download the .zip.

Noise...... Not good. Its about as loud as a vacuum. It's certainly not the loudest machine I've heard but not good. My Norco 2024 was preposterously loud before I swapped the fans out and would drown this thing out. Can I get water blocks for these CPU sockets? I've got a crazy water cooling system that I could plumb this thing to and then use less noisy fans.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Thanks for pulling my bacon off the fire, again! The other 4 blue slots worked.

I also got the Dell card installed. It's in IT more so it looks like I'm good there. I still haven't taken the time to address the BMC but I did download the .zip.

Noise...... Not good. Its about as loud as a vacuum. It's certainly not the loudest machine I've heard but not good. My Norco 2024 was preposterously loud before I swapped the fans out and would drown this thing out. Can I get water blocks for these CPU sockets? I've got a crazy water cooling system that I could plumb this thing to and then use less noisy fans.
Well, your liquid cooling question may have been rhetorical for all I know. But I'm stuck in the house for yet another day, so I have time to respond. To keep spouse approval up, all my gear is in my home office with me, and because nothing is more than 8 feet or so from my ear, I've gone to stupid lengths at times to deal with noise. Here's what I recommend...in order. Keep in mind that my advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it :p.

1. FIRST! Make sure you know what's actually making the noise. IF you can silence any audible alarms, try running for a few minutes with the midplane fan wall unplugged. Not too long, but long enough to get it booted up and idling. It would suck to go to a bunch of effort on that front only to find out the most annoying noise was coming from the power supplies.

2. SECOND. If it is the fan wall, then you might want to check the BIOS/IPMI to see if you can change the fan curve. It sounded like you weren't going to be hitting it super hard, with lots of VMs crunching numbers, so a more "quiet" setting may be in order if one is available. I've not got this or any Quanta gear, so can't tell you how to do that, or even if its possible. If it was custom for some volume user, then the fan curve may not be adjustable.

3. If that doesn't work, can you swap the fans for quieter? Somebody out there probably lists specs (CFM/CMM, pressure, and decibels) for the installed fans. With that, you can look for fans with similar air volume and pressure, but less noise. Of course, some systems get upset if you don't use stock fans. Best to check with something on hand first, to see if it throws an alarm

4. If that doesn't work, consider if you need to run both CPUs. You pulled a Nehalem system for this? The absolute fastest LGA1156 Nehalem CPU is still 40% slower than just one E5-2620. Pulling one CPU will make less heat and if your system can tolerate a fan swap, you may be able to use quieter and lower volume fans where the second CPU was, since there's less heat to tamp down. You'll still need to have enough air flow to draw in across the drives to keep them cool though. Its a trial and error thing. Oh, and again, if its a custom firmware for a vendor, it may not run on one CPU. Trial and error again.

5. If none of that appeals, then liquid cooling is possible. From internet pictures, that board appears to use square ILM 2011 sockets. Lots of available water blocks for that. Besides looking for LGA2011, you can look for blocks with compatibility with X79 or X99 systems. Same mounting holes on those. If you have rectangular (technically "Narrow") Loading mechanisms/heatsinks, then the selection goes down significantly. Unless you have 92mm radiators to sandwich into the fan wall, you'll have to cut a hole/holes in the lid, and if space is tight inside, pass the radiator out of the hole to mount outside the lid. The obvious inclination for folks that mount cooling in a server cover is to mount the radiator/fan onto the lid itself over the hole. Which makes it an absolute BEAR to take the lid off because you have to unbolt the radiator every time. Better solution is to fabricate something to hold the Rads/fans in place independent of the cover and slip the cover over. That, as you can imagine is an effort in itself. Do you want to do that? Plus, the server was designed for forced air cooling. If you cut a hole in it, that's going to mess that all up. Consider what won't get cooled properly if there's a hole in the case and air doesn't move all the way from front to back. A quiet system that fries itself....well hey if its dead its totally silent, right? Not saying you can't do it. But its not as easy and hooking something up to a gaming case fan mounting point. On a 2U server, the only real place to mount a 120MM Rad is in the only removable panel.

6. Regardless of what you do, don't forget the HBA. LSI specs their older cards for 200 linear feet per minute of airflow over the heatsink. A DELL card with LSI chip would be similar I suppose. So, if you are going to lower overall airflow, consider some point cooling for the card's heatsink. If you're lucky, the hole pattern for the heatsink pins will correspond to a stock fan size and you can add a fan on top of the heatsink with some long machine screws passed through the fan and heatsink to the back of the card. Just don't tighten them down too much.

Wow, that was quite a novel. :cool: