Server Overhaul time. I need some recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
OK. My server needs to be brought into the modern ear.

I'm currently running WHS s2011 which has been great. I'm using some sundry utilities to create a RAID like situation. But it's deprecated. I'm open to other operating systems but I would absolutely need at least a rock solid Windows VM of some sort to run my home automation software and it would need access to USB ports. I'd also like to run Plex and NextCloud. I'm open to buying new hardware but would like to keep it as low cost and power as possible....... I know. I know. Everyone says that. I've currently got 4 8TB shucked WD drives in a SnapRAID RIAD 5-ish array with NTFS. My system is a SM X8SILF-O with some 4 core, Nehalem job with 8 GB of DDR3.

Thoughts?

Anyone think I could just get some more RAM on the cheap and make it work? Also maybe replace the CPU on the cheap? Or would it just make more sense to get a new system entirely?

Thoughts on OS configuration?

Thanks all.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Depends what your budget is, you can definitely pick up a cheap x9 system for under a couple of hundred (thats with a ram upgrade).
It would drop your power usage pretty considerably, what CPU do you have currently?

If you dont need more CPU and the power isnt an issue though, a ram upgrade is definitely a viable choice.

Last edited:

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Depends what your budget is, you can definitely pick up a cheap x9 system for under a couple of hundred (thats with a ram upgrade).
It would drop your power usage pretty considerably, what CPU do you have currently?

If you dont need more CPU and the power isnt an issue though, a ram upgrade is definitely a viable choice.

It's an X4400 or some such. I forgot the password to my current system so I can't RDP in and check. It's a 4 core 8 thread deal. My desktop has an x5670 and 24 GB of RAM and I could happily swap them if needed. Or just get another X5670 as they're dirt cheap. I imagine ECC DDR3 is also DIRT CHEAP these days.

What do you think about Windows Server 2019?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm open to buying new hardware but would like to keep it as low cost and power as possible
As @Spartacus notes you can get newer (even a little bit newer) gear that has more computing power while using less electricity. So, over a year or two you can recoup a bit of the initial cost in electricity savings. If you have expensive electricity, you can recoup a lot of cost. Those Nehelem systems drew a decent amount of power at idle. Plus less power draw, means quieter.

I imagine ECC DDR3 is also DIRT CHEAP these days
You don't mention if you are using Registered or Unbuffered ECC Currently? Your X8SIL could use either one (but not both at the same time). Registered DDR3 really is pretty cheap now. Unbuffered ECC is still pretty expensive for some reason.

Nice! That looks like it'll work. Any caveats?
@BeTeP, how was the noise on these? Quanta bothered to put an 80+ Gold PSU in it, so I imagine it could be anything from whisper quiet to jet fighter, or anything in between depending on how Quanta configured them. Price seems really good for a dual Socket R, especially since the Quanta site specifies they can be upgraded to V2 CPUs. Plus, they are taking Best Offers, so are maybe willing to go down a bit.

BTW there's nothing to download at that link. I't just the compatibility list.
There's a dropdown box to select Download type in the upper right. It seems to default to the CCL. You can switch it to BIOS, drivers, etc. and they will come up.

Last edited:

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
@BeTeP

Or anyone for that matter.

Due to the necessary proximity to other devices I'd like to mount this vertically, front up. In my current case I just turned the fans around but Due to the passive heatsinks on this one I'm not so sure that would work.

Thoughts?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Gravity is no match for the air pressure of the fans - do not worry about the orientation.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
But personally I would not run a hardware RAID6 on that card.
Just out of curiosity, why not, other than the 9261 being older & a bit slow? I've got machine with a different SAS2108 based controller (3Ware 9750-8i) so am curious if there's issues I didn't know about.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
This thing has 24 RAM slots. I have 4 sticks of RAM. Which slots do I put them in? I tried the ones directly on either side of the CPUs but when I power it on the monitor shows nothing. could the onboard GPU be disabled or something? Also I can't log in to the BMC. I'm assuming that the default password has been changed. Is there a way to reset it?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Generally, for that generation of hardware (Patsburg) you start with the farthest DIMM slots.

So you can try: for each CPU, you'd want to start with one of the outermost Blue slots fpr that CPU (so either on the edge of the motherboard, or in the middle between CPUs). Of the two slots furthest from a CPU, select the one with the lowest Alpha-Numeric code (I don't know if Quanta numbers only (Slot 0 etc) or does Alphas (A1 etc)). Do this for both CPUs. Once the first DIMM for each CPU is installed. put the second DIMM for each CPU into the next further inboard Blue socket on the same side of the CPU as the first stick. Hope that makes sense?

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Generally, for that generation of hardware (Patsburg) you start with the farthest DIMM slots.

So you can try: for each CPU, you'd want to start with one of the outermost Blue slots fpr that CPU (so either on the edge of the motherboard, or in the middle between CPUs). Of the two slots furthest from a CPU, select the one with the lowest Alpha-Numeric code (I don't know if Quanta numbers only (Slot 0 etc) or does Alphas (A1 etc)). Do this for both CPUs. Once the first DIMM for each CPU is installed. put the second DIMM for each CPU into the next further inboard Blue socket on the same side of the CPU as the first stick. Hope that makes sense?

Yep. That worked. And your explanation was very clear. I can't thank you enough.

Any thoughts on resetting the password for the BMC? I want to get this thing off of my living room floor with a monitor and racked up ASAP.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Any thoughts on resetting the password for the BMC? I want to get this thing off of my living room floor with a monitor and racked up ASAP.
Apologies if you're already tried these, but I like a challenge and Google is my friend:

1. Default User/PW for BMC: sysadmin PW: superuser (apparently some documents say admin/admin)

2. Ensure BMC isn't disabled: Jumper (J22) is open for "enabled"
3. There's a Password Clear Jumper (J30) Pins 1-2 is normal, 2-3 is clear. But the manual doesn't say which password(s) it clears. This is separate from the CMOS clear jumper (J28). For some reason the technical manual for this isn't on Quanta's site, but I found i on one of those "document library" sites:

QUANTA STRATOS S210 Series S210-X22RQ Technical Manual (Page 222 of 252)

4. There's also a "Force IBMC Update" jumper (J1E2), close pins 1-2, but I have no idea if forcing an update clears the password.

5. The absolute fastest way to get it off your living room floor is to box it back up and send it to me. Just sayin'

Last edited:

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
Apologies if you're already tried these, but I like a challenge and Google is my friend:

1. Default User/PW for BMC: sysadmin PW: superuser (apparently some documents say admin/admin)

2. Ensure BMC isn't disabled: Jumper (J22) is open for "enabled"
3. There's a Password Clear Jumper (J30) Pins 1-2 is normal, 2-3 is clear. But the manual doesn't say which password(s) it clears. This is separate from the CMOS clear jumper (J28). For some reason the technical manual for this isn't on Quanta's site, but I found i on one of those "document library" sites:

QUANTA STRATOS S210 Series S210-X22RQ Technical Manual (Page 222 of 252)

4. There's also a "Force IBMC Update" jumper (J1E2), close pins 1-2, but I have no idea if forcing an update clears the password.

5. The absolute fastest way to get it off your living room floor is to box it back up and send it to me. Just sayin'

Just seeing this now. Sorry for the late reply.

The default login credentials don't work. The jumper to enable the BMC is bare. Also I know that it's running because it clearly boots when plugged in initially and then when the system is powered off the lights for the BMC are still blinking. After looking at the manual (Thanks for finding that by the way) I can't tell if J30 is for the BMC. How are you sure?